Transocean Submits Writ Against Smedvig
Smedvig has received a writ from Transocean Offshore Deepwater Drilling Inc. In the writ Transocean demands that Smedvig is prohibited from applying simultaneous operations in offshore drilling activities. In addition, Transocean claims compensation for alleged infringement of their patents of multi-activity offshore drilling apparatus and method. The claims include Smedvig's operations on the drillship West Navigator and the semisub, West Venture.
Smedvig considers the writ to be unfounded. However, should the allegations of Transocean be supported, Smedvig is covered by contract indemnities from relevant suppliers of equipment and drilling rigs. Potential legal proceedings will be conducted in Norwegian Courts of Justice.
- Seadrill Takes a Financial Hit from Contractor Investments (Feb 23)
- Endeavour Enters $40 Million Strategic Investment with Smedvig (Dec 26)
- Smedvig is History, from Today It's Seadrill (Jun 01)
Company: Transocean Ltd. more info
Manages 53 Offshore Rigs
- Oil's Biggest Rigs Headed to Junkyard as Daily Losses Mount (Oct 18)
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Borr Drilling Signs Deal With Transocean to Buy 15 Rigs (Mar 20)