Statoil Sets Record at Visund Well
The world's longest well drilled from a floating installation was completed recently by Statoil on its Visund field in the Norwegian North Sea.
Also ranked as the longest well so far drilled by the group, this A-6 producer reached a total measured length of 9,082 meters.
"Detailed planning produced very good progress, at no less than 102 meters per day compared with a North Sea average of 85 meters," says Beate Myking, operations vice president for Visund.
She is also pleased that 4,590 meters of the well were drilled with a single bit. Offshore drilling often requires a bit change after less than 800 meters.
The Visund operation was carried out in cooperation with Odfjell Drilling and Schlumberger, which served as the directional drilling company.
Both the rate of progress and the well length have attracted attention, and Statoil has been asked to share its experience at a Society of Petroleum Engineers conference in the USA.
Work on the Visund gas project means that the A-6 producer will not come on stream until October. Its potential is seen as very high because it penetrates 800 meters of hydrocarbon sands.
Wells currently being drilled from Statoil's fixed Gullfaks A and Statfjord C platforms in the same Tampen area of the North Sea could be even longer than in the Visund case.
The group's long-term goal is to be able to drill wells up to 12-17,000 meters long in the Tampen area.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- Statoil Greenlights $6B Flagship Arctic Oil Project (Dec 05)
- Partners to Invest in New Gas Module at Troll C Platform (Nov 07)
Company: Schlumberger more info
- US Oil Service Firms Face Hit from Venezuela Debt Restructuring (Nov 06)
- Halliburton Posts International Revenue Growth, Unlike Schlumberger (Oct 23)
- Top Oilfield Services Firms Signal Fourth-Quarter Uncertainty (Oct 20)
Company: Odfjell more info
Manages 20 Offshore Rigs
- Odfjell Secures New Well Services Contracts (Sep 10)
- Odfjell Offshore Raising up to $500M to Develop Fleet (Mar 12)
- Odfjell Lands Record Breaking Deal with BP (Jan 11)