Fred. Olsen Energy Acquires Ocean Liberator
Fred. Olsen Energy ASA, has on behalf of a subsidiary entered into an agreement to purchase the semisubmersible drilling rig Ocean Liberator from Ensenada Internacional S.A., a subsidiary of Diamond Offshore Drilling Inc., for a consideration of US $14 million. The Ocean Liberator is currently in lay-up offshore Cape Town, South Africa.
The rig is an Aker H-3 design built in 1974 and has been cold stacked in Saldanha Bay north of Cape Town since November 2002. Engineering studies have commenced with the purpose of determining the best application for the unit, including production drilling and completion work. A final decision related to the eventual upgrade of the unit is expected late 2005 and will be subject to detailed engineering and contract opportunities.
- Fred. Olsen Energy Says Lossmaking Contract Levels Persist (Feb 16)
- Norwegian Oil Drillers Call in Mediator after Wage Talks Fail (May 22)
- Norway's Fred. Olsen Energy Sees Tough Rig Market Ahead (Oct 28)
Company: Diamond Offshore more info
Manages 18 Offshore Rigs
- New Contracts Drive Diamond Offshore's Profit Beat; Shares Rise (Oct 30)
- Diamond Offshore's Profit Beats Estimates On Lower Costs (May 01)
- Offshore Drillers Still Seeking Recovery Enjoyed by Shale (Feb 07)