OMV to Abandon Lauda-2 Well Offshore Australia
Due to drilling difficulties associated with the drill string becoming stuck in the hole, the Lauda-2 well will now be plugged and abandoned and the drilling rig will be released.
The Lauda-1 well from which Lauda-2 was sidetracked, is located in WA-290-P, being 70 kilometers west of Barrow Island and 27 kilometers west northwest of the Woollybutt Oil Field
As previously reported by Tap Oil, the Lauda-2 sidetrack well, which targeted a separate closure at the Lauda East prospect on the downthrown side of the main fault, failed to find commercial hydrocarbon zones at the target Barrow Group level. Also, due to the abovementioned drilling difficulties, the well was not able to reach the deeper reservoir target.
The previously drilled Lauda-1 well intersected a 6 meter oil column in the Barrow Group sandstones on the upthrown side of the fault. Further potential occurs along this structure to the north and south of the Lauda-1 well and following analysis of the well data the Joint Venture will consider further appraisal at a later date.
The discovery of oil at Lauda-1 confirms an oil charge into the area, 27 kms to the north west of the Woollybutt oil field, and has upgraded the prospectivity of WA-290-P and surrounding Tap permits. Tap has mapped several other prospects in these permits and these will now be considered for possible drilling candidates.
WA-290-P Joint Venture participants are OMV as operator with 50%; Tap Oil with 25% and Nippon Oil with 25%.
- Mubadala Completes Drilling MNA-17 Well in the Manora Field Off Thailand (Sep 16)
- Quadrant Fails to Find Hydrocarbons at Driftwood-1 Well in Carnarvon Basin (Aug 16)
- Quadrant Spuds Driftwood-1 Well in Permit WA-320-P in Carnarvon Basin (Aug 02)
Company: OMV more info
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- OMV Flags Higher 3Q Margins, Kurdistan Windfall (Oct 13)
- Gas Pipeline Through Central Europe to Go Ahead As Planned -Romania (Sep 28)
Company: Nippon Oil Exploration more info
- Canadian Oil Sands Halts Syncrude Production After Fire, Prices Spike (Aug 31)
- Tap Updates Zola-1 Drilling in Carnarvon Basin (Dec 22)
- Iraq-Nippon Talks on Nassiriya Oil Field Deadlocked (Mar 01)