Casino Gas Project Awarded a Production License
Santos Limited, on behalf of the VIC/P44 joint venture, announces that the $200 million Casino development, offshore southern Australia, has been awarded a production license by the Victorian Government.
The VIC/L24 production license, awarded by the Department of Primary Industries, Victoria clears a major regulatory hurdle and will help to ensure that production commences on schedule in the first quarter 2006.
During the first quarter 2005, the project has advanced rapidly to be 36% complete as at the end of March having begun drilling a pilot hole for the directional shore-crossing and completed the onshore pipeline installation.
Preparations have also commenced for development drilling operations with the Casino 4 and Casino 5 wells currently scheduled to start drilling at the end of April.
The entire gas reserves from the Casino field have been sold under contract to TXU who will process the gas at their Iona processing plant. All remaining conditions precedent for the Gas Sales Agreement with TXU have been satisfied or waived.
The finalization of this innovative gas sales contract has enabled accelerated exploration drilling activity with an option being exercised for the drilling of the Henry 1 well, immediately northwest of the Casino gas field. The Casino joint venture is also exploring options to drill the adjacent prospects immediately after the Henry 1 well.
"The award of a production license is an important milestone as it helps ensure the development remains on schedule, said Santos' Managing Director, Mr. John Ellice-Flint.
"Together with the meaningful progress made during the first quarter of 2005, means the development is on track to meet expected initial production in the first quarter of 2006".
Participants in VIC P/44 and VIC/L24 are Santos as operator with 50%; Peedamullah Petroleum an AWE subsidiary with 25%; Mittwell Energy a Mitsui subsidiary with 25%.
- Santos Seen Luring More Bids After Rejecting $7.2 Billion Offer (Nov 16)
- Australia's Santos Steps Up Effort To Avert LNG Export Curb (Aug 30)
- Australia Plans LNG Export Limits to Help Ease Local Price Pain (Apr 27)
Company: Mitsui more info
- Japan's Mitsui OSK Targets 26% Stake In Swan's Indian LNG Unit (Sep 18)
- As Rivals Circle, Japan Boosting Firepower To Buy Global Energy Assets (Sep 23)
- Gas Glut Upends Global Trade Flows As Buyers Find New Leverage (Aug 16)
Company: Australian Worldwide Exploration (AWE) more info
- Waitsia Gas Project Exceeds Pre-Production Expectations (Dec 22)
- Waitsia JV Approves 2017 Development Activities Budget (Dec 09)
- AWE Commences Gas Sales from Stage 1 of Waitsia Gas Project in Perth Basin (Aug 29)