Kupe JV Decides on New Gas Production Station
Origin Energy Resources (Kupe) Limited, as operator of the Kupe Gas Project, announced on behalf of the joint venture that it has elected to proceed with the design of a new onshore production station to process gas from the proposed offshore Kupe development, rather than toll the gas through existing onshore facilities.
The option of constructing new facilities was compared with proposals to toll the gas through existing onshore facilities owned by third parties, including NGC's Kapuni production station, which would have required modifications and substantial additions. The Kupe Joint Venture has completed a thorough evaluation of all technical and commercial factors including costs and project risks for both alternatives and has determined that on balance, the most appropriate way forward is a new production station.
The Kupe Joint Venture proposes to extract natural gas, LPG and light oil from the Kupe field situated approximately 30km offshore south of New Zealand's Taranaki Peninsula, in Petroleum Mining Licence 38146 (PML 38146).
The proposed site for the new onshore production station is west of Hawera at the southern end of Inaha Road. The production station will be designed to process at least 70 TJ/d of natural gas.
The Kupe Joint Venture's application for resource consents will be considered by the South Taranaki District Council at a hearing on April 4 2005 and by the Taranaki Regional Council in mid April 2005.
Front end engineering and design (FEED) work associated with the onshore and offshore elements are now well advanced and the Joint Venture is scheduled to make its formal project sanction decision in the fourth quarter of 2005. Subject to an affirmative decision to proceed at that time and appropriate approvals being achieved, construction of a new production station is expected to take approximately two years, with first gas, oil and LPG deliveries in the second half of 2007.
Origin Energy Resources (Kupe) Limited 50% (Operator)
Genesis Energy 31%
New Zealand Oil & Gas Limited 15%
Mitsui E&P (New Zealand) Limited 4%
- Beach Energy Buys Origin's Lattice in $1.25 Billion Deal (Sep 28)
- Energy Titans Get Schooled in Sharing as Billions Seen Blown (May 09)
- Australia's Origin Energy Doubles Stake In Beetaloo Shale Gas Field (May 05)
Company: New Zealand Oil & Gas more info
- NZOG Submits Application to Exit Kaheru PEP 52181 (Mar 23)
- New Zealand Pushes Ahead to Grow Upstream Sector, Reap Economic Gains (Aug 28)
- Australia's AWE, PPP, NZOG To Drill 2nd Oil Well Off NZ Coast (Jun 10)
Company: Mitsui more info
- Japan's Mitsui OSK Targets 26% Stake In Swan's Indian LNG Unit (Sep 18)
- As Rivals Circle, Japan Boosting Firepower To Buy Global Energy Assets (Sep 23)
- Gas Glut Upends Global Trade Flows As Buyers Find New Leverage (Aug 16)
Company: Genesis Energy more info
- NZOG Reports 15.3% Rise in Developed Reserves in Kupe Field Off Taranaki (Apr 21)
- Genesis Energy Upgrades O&G Reserves at Kupe Field Offshore Taranaki (Dec 09)
- Genesis Buys Enterprise Offshore Pipelines for $1.5 Billion (Jul 16)