Norsk Hydro Completes Barents Sea Well
Norsk Hydro has reached the planned drilling depth for wildcat well 7220/6-1 in production license 225.
The well's primary target was a chalk prospect from the Permian and Carboniferous Ages, called "Obelix". The drilling activity was concluded in metamorphic rocks 1515 meters below sea level.
The well proved a residual oil column of more than 120 meters, with good indications of hydrocarbons in other portions of the stratigraphic sequence. However, attempts at sampling showed that the hydrocarbons could not be produced. The well was therefore plugged without production testing.
The collected data confirms that, in addition to source rocks from the Late Jurassic Age, source rocks from a potential Permian/Triassic Age have been proven in the area. This is an encouraging observation with a view towards future investigation of new exploration opportunities in the western Barents Sea.
The well was drilled about 190 km off the coast of Finnmark, north/northwest of Hammerfest. The water depth in the area is 394 meters.
The drilling activity was carried out with Ocean Rig's semisub, Eirik Raude. After completion of this well, the Eirik Raude will be transferred to Statoil for drilling of well 7131/4-1- Guocva in production license 233.
The licensees in production license 225 are Norsk Hydro Produksjon AS (operator, 29%), Eni Norge AS (31%) and Statoil ASA (40%).
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Sentry Petroleum Appoints Former Norsk Hydro Analyst to Board of Directors (Dec 29)
- Hydro Under Investigation for Former Libya Oil Operations (Oct 07)
- SeaBird First Contract Award for SeaBed Operations (Apr 28)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- Statoil Greenlights $6B Flagship Arctic Oil Project (Dec 05)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- BSEE: Italy's Eni Begins Drilling Oil Well In Alaska's Beaufort Sea (Dec 27)
- Eni 'Mission Impossible' Points to Seismic Shift for Big Oil (Dec 22)
- Sanction-Proof Oil Rig Beats US Policy From Cuba to Russia (Dec 19)
Company: Ocean Rig more info
Manages 14 Offshore Rigs
- Avenue Capital Urges Ocean Rig To Hire Advisers (Oct 17)
- Rig Contractor Ocean RIG Files For Bankruptcy Protection In US (Mar 28)
- Ocean Rig Acquires an Ultra Deepwater Drillship for $65M (Apr 27)