Shell & Apache Log Pay with North Sea Well
Shell U.K. Limited together with Apache North Sea Limited and co-venturers OMV (U.K.) Limited and Petro Summit Investment UK Limited are pleased to announce they have drilled a discovery well in Block 22/12a in a low relief structure between the Shell operated Nelson and the Montrose fields in the Central North Sea, some 200 kilometers north-east of Aberdeen.
Rien Herber, Exploration Director of Shell Exploration & Production in Europe, said: "Drilling this well underlines Shell's commitment to near-field exploration in the North Sea and is a good example of cross-industry co-operation to maximize the potential of a mature area If it is developed it has the potential to allow Shell to increase its portfolio of existing oil and to extend the life of nearby infrastructure."
Block 22/12a was acquired by Shell in 2002 as part of the Enterprise Oil portfolio. The 22/12a-10 well was spudded on October 30, 2004 by the Sedco 711 semisub and identified a 60-foot hydrocarbon column in the Forties reservoir. The well was plugged and abandoned on November 21st as planned for this exploration well. Information from the well is now being evaluated to determine commerciality.
John Crum, Managing Director of Apache, said: "This is the first of what we hope to be numerous joint operations with Shell in the North Sea, where we believe there remain many exploration and development opportunities yet to be pursued. Apache has significantly boosted production from Forties Field; we would like to expand our presence in the North Sea."
Operates 3 Offshore Rigs
- Ancala Acquires Apache's Two North Sea Gas Pipeline Assets (Nov 20)
- Apache Raises North America Output Forecast, Swings To Profit (May 04)
- Oil Producer Apache Posts Smaller-Than-Expected Loss (Nov 03)
Company: Shell more info
Operates 27 Offshore Rigs
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
Company: OMV more info
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- OMV Flags Higher 3Q Margins, Kurdistan Windfall (Oct 13)
- Gas Pipeline Through Central Europe to Go Ahead As Planned -Romania (Sep 28)
Company: Transocean Ltd. more info
Manages 46 Offshore Rigs
- Oil's Biggest Rigs Headed to Junkyard as Daily Losses Mount (Oct 18)
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Borr Drilling Signs Deal With Transocean to Buy 15 Rigs (Mar 20)