Azerbaijan's SOCAR To Boost Its Share In New Deal With BP On Oil Fields
TBILISI/BAKU, Sept 8 (Reuters) - Azeri state energy company SOCAR is expected to increase its share in a new production sharing agreement with oil major BP for development of the country's biggest oilfields, two industry sources familiar with the content of talks on the deal told Reuters.
"According to preliminary information, SOCAR will increase its share at the expense of a share reduction of other companies, including BP," an industry source, who is aware of the content of the negotiations, told Reuters.
Another industry source, who also is familiar with the content of the talks and did not want to be named, said that SOCAR's share in a new contract could be increased to 20 percent from the current 11.6 percent, while BP's share could be reduced to 30 percent from the current 35.8 percent.
"The shares of some other companies might be also reduced," the source said. The figures in the final contract might still change, the source said.
A spokeswoman for BP in Azerbaijan said: "We don't have information on the content of the contract now." A SOCAR spokesman said the company had no immediate comment.
The shareholders in the consortium include BP, SOCAR, Chevron, INPEX, Statoil, ExxonMobil , TPAO, ITOCHU and ONGC Videsh.
(Reporting by Margarita Antidze in TBILISI and Nailia Bagirova in BAKU; writing by Margarita Antidze; editing by Christian Lowe)
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 32 Offshore Rigs
- BP Sees Electric Future With Oil Demand Peaking in 2030s (Feb 20)
- Big Oil Said to Plan Tenfold Expansion of Cost-Cut Collaboration (Jan 23)
- BP Is Said to Weigh Bid for $1.8B Italian Solar Company (Jan 22)
Company: SOCAR more info
- BP, Azerbaijan's SOCAR To Sign Caspian Sea Exploration Deal In 2017 (Oct 12)
- Azerbaijan's SOCAR To Boost Its Share In New Deal With BP On Oil Fields (Sep 08)
- Azerbaijan's SOCAR Sees H2 2016 Net Profit At $298 MM (Jan 17)