Poll: US, Foreign Oil Companies to Prosper in Trump's USA
Both US and foreign oil companies will thrive in Trump’s USA, according to a Rigzone poll on social media platform Twitter.
POLL: Which Oil, Gas Companies Will Thrive in Trump’s USA? #USElection2016— Rigzone (@Rigzone) 9 November 2016
Out of 254 respondents, 41 percent said that all oil companies would prosper in the US following Trump’s election win. Thirty-six percent believed that just US companies would thrive under the new president and 4 percent of voters thought just foreign companies would prosper. A significant section of respondents, 19 percent, stated that no oil companies would thrive under Trump.
Following Trump’s victory in the U.S. Presidential Election, European press reaction was broadly positive when it came to prospects for European oil and gas firms that operate in the states.
London's Evening Standard newspaper said that oil companies will be riding high as a result of the news. It suggested that UK energy company BP plc could potentially strengthen ties in the US (the oil major refused to comment directly) and pointed out that service companies such as Wood Group and Weir will be helped by a Trump presidency.
Spanish news service vozpopuli.com also saw the development optimistically, stating that Trump’s victory could, in principle, benefit Spain's Repsol S.A., which has operations in Alaska.
There were some contrary views too however, with French business website capital.fr suggesting that foreign companies operating in the U.S. might lose out, and that those that fly Le Tricolore – such as oil major Total S.A. and oilfield engineer Technip – will be "holding their breath" to see what happens next.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 32 Offshore Rigs
- BP Sees Electric Future With Oil Demand Peaking in 2030s (Feb 20)
- Big Oil Said to Plan Tenfold Expansion of Cost-Cut Collaboration (Jan 23)
- BP Is Said to Weigh Bid for $1.8B Italian Solar Company (Jan 22)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total's Bayport Site to Add PE Unit in Venture with Borealis, Nova (Feb 20)
- Big Oil CEOs Appeal to Norway to Back Carbon Capture and Storage (Feb 15)
- Total Starts Up Antwerp Refinery And Petrochem Complex After Upgrade (Nov 30)
Company: Repsol more info
- Oil's Heavy Hitters Line Up to Dive Into Mexico's Deep Waters (Jan 26)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
Company: Wood Group more info
- Wood to Design Pioneering LNG Platform (Oct 17)
- Wood Group Wins Total Refinery Maintenance Contract (Oct 11)
- Ichthys LNG Subsea Contract Goes to Wood Group (Sep 06)
Company: Technip more info
- Sasol Plans More Hiring for Louisiana Project (Oct 12)
- Bapco To Meet Technip-Led Consortium For Talks On Refinery Expansion (Aug 22)
- Fluor Wins Malaysia Isononanol Plant Contract (Aug 07)