Statoil Cuts 250 Jobs, Mostly in HSE
Statoil ASA will be cutting 250 positions from its workforce, the company confirmed Tuesday in a phone call to Rigzone.
Statoil spokesperson Ola Anders Skauby told Rigzone the 250 positions are not new job cuts, rather part of the previously announced 1,100 to 1,500 workforce reductions planned for the remainder of 2016. The plan is expected to save the company $1.7 billion.
The cuts will occur in the finance and control, safety, security and sustainability parts of the organization, said Skauby.
Oil and gas companies have been slashing capital expenditures (CAPEX) and cutting jobs for two years now as the industry continues to adjust to the low oil price environment.
Statoil is one of many oil and gas companies on hand at the ONS oil conference in Stavanger, Norway this week. Reuters reported that during the conference, Statoil’s exploration chief Tim Dodson, said the industry is heading for a supply crunch in coming decades. Dodson said the current level of investments in the oil and gas sector coupled with the decline rates of existing fields signify a supply gap that will open up by 2040.
“If we stand still, the world will just not have enough energy to fuel its growth,” Dodson said.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Two Main Forces Have Come Together to Pull Down Commodity Prices
- UK Offshore Energy Calls for Labour Party Meet
- Aker BP's 1.07 Bboe North Sea Projects Get Parliament Nod
- Coal Getting Cheaper in China Despite Heat-Induced Demand Surge
- Mitsubishi Shipbuilding Eyes to Fuel Sea Transport with Ammonia
- Distillate Crack Spreads Return to February 2022 Levels: EIA
- Americas Exploration Heats Up
- Gas South Inks Plumbing Deal for Its Consumers
- Saudi Oil Cut Risks Leaving Bitter Taste for Budget
- Irving Oil Starts Review That Puts Key Refinery on Market
- Saudis Remind Global Oil Market Who is King
- Saudi to Cut Output by 1MM BPD in Solo OPEC+ Move
- Data Science is the Future of Oil and Gas
- Debt Ceiling Deal Becomes Law
- What Do Latest OPEC+ Moves Mean?
- TotalEnergies Inks Agua Marinha PSC in Brazil
- Fatality At North Rankin Complex
- North America Loses More Rigs
- Par Pacific Completes Buy of ExxonMobil Refinery
- Regulator Fines Hilcorp Alaska in Latest of Over 60 Enforcement Actions
- Which Generation Is Most in Demand in Oil, Gas Right Now?
- Who Is the Most Prolific Private Oil and Gas Producer in the USA?
- USA EIA Slashes 2023 and 2024 Brent Oil Price Forecasts
- BMI Reveals Latest Brent Oil Price Forecasts
- Is There a Danger That Oil and Gas Runs out of Financing?
- BMI Projects Gasoline Price Through to 2026
- What Will World Oil Demand Be in 2023?
- North America Rig Count Reduction Rumbles On
- What New Oil and Gas Jobs Will Exist in the Future?
- What Does a 2023 USA Recession Mean for Oil and Gas in the Country?