Fire at Mississippi gas plant halts US Gulf Coast platforms
At least two offshore oil platforms halted operations on Tuesday in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico after a fire at a natural gas processing plant in Mississippi shut a crucial pipeline that brings output onshore, several companies said.
The fire at Enterprise Products Partners plant in Pascagoula was brought under control, but officials were still forced to close the 225-mile Destin gas pipeline system that can carry 1.2 billion cubic feet per day from offshore fields to Pascagoula.
Destin, majority-owned by BP with Enbridge Inc a minority partner, said it was declaring force majeure, a legal clause that allows it to scrap commitments, as a result of the fire.
Offshore company LLOG said it was in the process of shutting its Delta House floating production system in the Gulf of Mexico on Tuesday, a spokesman said.
Murphy Oil Corp said its Thunder Hawk platform was shut in after the fire.
Murphy added it plans to flow natural gas to an alternate processing facility and expects minimal disruptions to its operations.
Several social media messages from Pascagoula residents had said the blaze erupted shortly before midnight at Chevron Corp's 330,000 barrels per day refinery in Pascagoula. The Pascagoula Police Department said the fire was not at the Chevron refinery.
There were no injuries from the blaze, Enterprise said. The cause was under investigation. Enterprise took ownership of the plant from BP Plc on June 1.
(Additional reporting By Erwin Seba in Houston, Jessica Resnick-Ault and Jarrett Renshaw in New York; Writing by Terry Wade; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
- Eni Secures Two Deals for Oman Blocks (Jan 14)
- BP Plans to Drill 6 More Wells in Azerbaijan (Jan 10)
- GOM Subsea Contract Goes to TechnipFMC (Jan 09)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Transocean Lands $830MM Rig Contract with Chevron (Dec 28)
- Premier Oil Eyes Bid for Chevron's North Sea Assets (Dec 13)
- Big Oil Battles Prolonged Gender Problem (Dec 04)
Company: Murphy Oil Corporation more info
- Murphy Oil and Petrobras to Form Gulf of Mexico JV (Oct 11)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Murphy Oil CEO: Now is the Time for Deepwater to Come Back (May 02)
Company: Enterprise Products Partners LP more info
- Enterprise Breaks Ground on Another NGL Expansion (Sep 05)
- Enterprise Products Partners To Expand Seaway Pipeline Capacity (Aug 01)
- Offshore Texas Oil Terminal Could Load Asia-, Europe-bound VLCCs (Jul 17)