Niger Delta Militants Reject Offer Of Talks, Blow Up Chevron Well
ABUJA, June 8 (Reuters) - A militant group known as the Niger Delta Avengers on Wednesday rejected an offer for talks with the government to end a series of attacks on oil facilities in the Delta and also said it had blown up a Chevron well in the region.
A series of attacks by militants on oil and gas pipelines in the southern Delta swamps have brought Nigeria's oil output to a 20-year low and helped to push oil prices to 2016 highs on Tuesday.
Nigeria's oil minister had said on Tuesday the government would start talks with the Niger Delta Avengers which has claimed responsibility for a string of attacks in the Delta.
But the Niger Delta Avengers rejected the offer of talks on its Twitter account. "We're not negotiating with any committee," the group said. "If the Fed (Federal) Govt (Government) is discussing with any group they're doing that on their own."
The Avengers also said it had blown up a Chevron well called "RMP 20" located next to the Dibbi flow station in the Warri area in the Delta at 0100 a.m. local time. It has previously attacked Chevron, Shell and ENI facilities.
(Reporting by Ulf Laessing; Editing by Louise Heavens and Jane Merriman)
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 30 Offshore Rigs
- UK Firm Intertek Says Employee Involved in Shell Oil Theft Case (Jan 17)
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- CB&I, Chevron Lummus Global, Saudi Aramco Launch 'Crude-to-Chemical' JV (Jan 18)
- Oil Producers Want New Hearing on Impact of Magellan Proposal (Jan 17)
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- BSEE: Italy's Eni Begins Drilling Oil Well In Alaska's Beaufort Sea (Dec 27)
- Eni 'Mission Impossible' Points to Seismic Shift for Big Oil (Dec 22)
- Sanction-Proof Oil Rig Beats US Policy From Cuba to Russia (Dec 19)