Repsol Continues Drilling at Strickland 2 Prospect in PNG's Highlands
Oil Search Ltd. reported Friday that drilling continued at the onshore Strickland 2 exploration well in Petroleum Retention License (PRL) 269 in Papua New Guinea's (PNG) Highlands, with operator Repsol S.A. running and setting the casing prior to testing for the presence of hydrocarbon.
The company said the Strickland 2 well, which was spud May 8 by Rig 103, will test for hydrocarbon presence in the Darai limestone reservoir within a 4-way dip closed anticlinal trap.
Oil Search has a 10 percent interest in PRL 269, while Repsol, Barracuda Ltd. and Diamond Gas Foreland 269 B.V. hold 50 percent, 30 percent and 10 percent, respectively.
Elsewhere in PNG, Oil Search revealed that the PRL 15 joint venture formally agreed to drill the Antelope 7 appraisal well in the Gulf Province at the end of September.
"Well pad construction is underway and expected to be completed by the end of August," the firm said in a press release, adding that the drilling is intended to test for reservoir presence and definition on the western flank of the field.
Total E&P PNG Ltd. is the operator of PRL 15, also known as the Papua LNG Project, with a 40.1 percent stake. Its partners are Oil Search, InterOil Corp. and minorities, each holding 22.8 percent, 36.5 percent and 0.5 percent, respectively.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Oil CEOs Jostle for Global Natgas Crown Under Putin's Gaze (Oct 04)
- Uganda Expects to Miss Target for First Oil (Sep 24)
- Total Joins Tullow-operated Block Offshore Guyana (Sep 13)
Company: Repsol more info
- Sources: Spain's Repsol Hires Tanker For Iran's Pars Oil As Sanctions Loom (Jun 19)
- Total Signs Deal to Extend TFT Gas Field License in Algeria (Jun 11)
- Repsol Asks Vietnam For Compensation After Drilling Project Halted (May 04)
Company: Oil Search Ltd. more info
- ExxonMobil Reports Papua New Guinea Discovery (Jan 16)
- Papua New Guinea Government To Sell Stake In Oil Search (Sep 21)
- Oil Search Profit Soars, Focus On Advancing PNG Gas Projects (Aug 22)
Company: InterOil Corporation more info
- Exxon's South Pacific Gas Grab Derided By InterOil's Founder (Jul 26)
- Oil, Gas Companies Tighten Cash Flow at Expense of Future Growth (Jul 26)
- Oil Search Won't Counter Exxon Bid For Gas Explorer InterOil (Jul 21)