Maersk Drilling Acquires Newbuild Jackup from Hercules Offshore for $190M
Maersk Drilling reported Friday that the company has acquired a newbuild harsh environment jackup, formerly named Hercules Highlander (400' ILC), from a subsidiary of Hercules Offshore, with the rig immediately delivered from Jurong Shipyard Pte Ltd. in Singapore.
Under the transaction, Maersk Drilling will pay the final payment of approximately $190 million to Jurong Shipyard. Upon delivery, Hercules Highlander will mobilize to the North Sea to commence a five-year drilling contract, worth $420 million and including a mobilization fee of $9 million, with Maersk Oil and its partners, BP plc and JX Nippon Oil & Energy Corp., on the Culzean gas field offshore UK.
“This agreement represents an opportunity for Maersk Drilling to acquire a newbuild harsh environment jackup backed by a firm long-term contract. We look forward to working with Maersk Oil and its partners on the Culzean gas field,” Maersk Drilling CEO and member of the Executive Board in the Maersk Group Claus V. Hemmingsen said in the press release.
The Friede & Goldman JU2000E jackup, equipped to drill up to 30,000 feet and with HPHT (High Pressure High Temperature) capabilities, can accommodate up to 150 personnel.
The jackup will be renamed Maersk Highlander and became the company's 23rd rig after the acquisition. Maersk Drilling has an additional harsh environment jackup under construction.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Maersk Drilling to Sell Jackup (Nov 12)
- CEO: Maersk Drilling Strong Enough To Stand On Its Own After Listing (Aug 28)
- Maersk Drilling Lays Off Dozens in GOM (Jan 23)
Company: Hercules Offshore more info
- C&J Energy Files for Bankruptcy to Cut $1.4B in Debt (Jul 20)
- Hercules Offshore Sells Jackup at 94% Loss (Jul 12)
- Hercules Offshore Lays Off 60 at Houston Headquarters (Jun 13)
Company: Jurong Shipyard more info
- NADL, Jurong Shipyard Extend Standstill Agreement for West Rigel (Jun 08)
- Maersk Drilling Acquires Newbuild Jackup from Hercules Offshore for $190M (May 27)
- Sembcorp Marine Dismisses EIG's Allegations on Sete Brasil Investment (May 25)