Niger Delta Avengers Attack Escravos Terminal
The Niger Delta Avengers have attacked Chevron’s Escravos terminal in Nigeria, according to a statement on Twitter.
NDA used explosives to damage the Escravos tank farm main electricity feed pipeline, which resulted in Chevron’s onshore activities in the Niger Delta being shut down.
The attack follows NDA’s warning to Chevron that no repair works should be carried out to facilities previously targeted by the group, until NDA’s demands are fully met. NDA claimed on its official website May 11 that it suspected Chevron was preparing to carry out repair works at the Okan Valve platform, which was blown up by the group at the start of the month.
In an emailed response to Rigzone, a Chevron spokesperson said that the company will not comment on the safety and security of its personnel and operations as a matter of long-standing policy.
The Escravos incident comes after a series of other attacks on oil and gas companies operating in the Niger Delta. These include:
- May 13 – An explosion occurred at a Chevron oil well at the Marakaba pipeline in Warri.
- May 17 - A gas pipeline in Ogbembiri, Bayelsa state, belonging to Italy’s Eni, was blown up. The attack impacted approximately 1,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day, according to an Eni spokesperson.
- May 22 – A crude oil pipeline in Bayelsa, operated by Eni subsidiary Nigerian Agip Oil Company, was damaged with dynamite.
“Despite the heavy presence of military in the creeks, it will not stop us from carrying out our operations. We are ready to destroy more pipelines,” said NDA spokesperson Col. Mudoch Agbinibowe on the group’s website.
“We won't only destroy pipelines, but will bring the fight to your tank farm and your Headquarters in Lekki, Lagos. If you continue to undermine us and go ahead with the repair works you won’t see us coming but we are coming for you,” the threat continued.
As part of its demands, NDA wants to “free the people of the Niger Delta from environmental pollution, slavery and oppression,” according to a statement on the group’s site.
Reuters contributed to this article.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Saturno Brazil Pre-Salt Acreage Goes to Shell and Chevron (Sep 28)
- Canada Shale Drillers Feel Permian Pain as Prices Collapse (Sep 20)
- Exxon, Chevron and Occidental Join Oil and Gas Climate Group (Sep 20)
Company: ENI more info
- Offshore Mexico FPSO Contract Goes to Modec (Oct 12)
- Eni Makes New Gas Discovery in Egypt (Aug 30)
- Eni Acquires Leases on Alaska's Eastern North Slope (Aug 29)
Company: Agip more info
- Niger Delta Avengers Attack Escravos Terminal (May 26)
- CAMAC Ups West African Interests (Dec 30)
- Saipem Wins Jack/St. Malo, Kashagan Contracts (Dec 16)