MEC Updates on PEP11 Planned Seismic Program in Offshore Sydney Basin
MEC Resources Ltd. provided Thursday the following update in relation to the planned seismic program within PEP11, in the offshore Sydney Basin, Australia.
Ocean bottom seismographs or nodes are being considered for deployment in association with the planned seismic program in PEP11. Application has been made to Geoscience Australia for their potential use in PEP11.
Geoscience Australia is now home to a new generation of broadband Ocean Bottom Seismographs (OBS). Each OBS is a precise and highly advanced instrument, engineered to withstand extreme ocean depths down to 19,685 feet (6,000 meters) and can remain on the seafloor continuously recording for up to 12 months. Geoscience Australia’s brochure on OBS can be viewed by clicking here.
An OBS can be deployed prior to or during acquisition of traditional seismic surveys. They have the benefit of a direct coupling with the seabed, thereby eliminating the noise associated with seismic wave travel through the water column, leading to improved data quality. In conjunction with surface towed seismic surveys, an OBS program can yield a much more robust image of the subsurface than previously known. Forces driving the ocean bottom node technology include the exceptional data quality achieved by this type of acquisition.
Ocean bottom seismic is vastly gaining in momentum as a potential exploration tool, and are becoming an increasingly popular technique to acquire reservoir imaging data. “Ocean bottom seismic is now comparable to where 3D seismic was 30 years ago.” The potential benefit of using OBS is that “producing higher quality data improves the quality of drilling targets.”
Further advice will be provided on the potential integration of OBS into the planned seismic survey in PEP11 as it becomes available.
PEP11 is held 85 percent and operated by Asset Energy Pty Ltd. Asset Energy Pty Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of Advent Energy Ltd., an investee entity of MEC Resources Ltd. Bounty Oil & Gas NL holds the remaining 15 percent of PEP11.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.