NOPSEMA Asks BP for New Environmental Plan for Great Australian Bight
Australia's National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environmental Management Authority (NOPSEMA) announced Monday that it has provided BP an opportunity to modify and resubmit their environment plan for exploration drilling in the Great Australian Bight, off the coast of South Australia. If BP accepts this opportunity, the modified plan is expected to be resubmitted by July 15, at which time NOPSEMA will recommence the assessment.
An opportunity to modify and resubmit is a normal part of NOPSEMA's environment plan assessment process. In fact, NOPSEMA is required by law to provide a titleholder (the company proposing the activity) a reasonable opportunity to modify and resubmit their plan if it doesn't meet the regulatory requirements for acceptance. NOPSEMA will typically provide 2 opportunities to modify and resubmit, but is not restricted to providing only 2 opportunities.
If a titleholder has been given a reasonable opportunity to modify their plan and NOPSEMA determines that it still doesn't meet the regulatory requirements for acceptance then NOPSEMA will refuse to accept the plan. Since NOPSEMA was established on Jan. 1, 2012, 4 percent of all environment plans submitted for assessment have been refused.
NOPSEMA has updated the status of the assessment on the Great Australian Bight Exploration Drilling Program submission page. Stakeholders are encouraged to subscribe to the page to receive email alerts of any changes.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Ex-Schlumberger Chief to Acquire Biggest Shale Pipe Servicer (Oct 19)
- BP Thunder Horse Expansion in Gulf of Mexico Starts Early (Oct 18)
- Oil Drillers' Rocky Mountain High Threatened by Colorado Vote (Oct 17)
Company: National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environmental Management Authority more info
- NOPSEMA Seeks More Details on BP's Great Australian Bight Environment Plan (Sep 29)
- APPEA Says Great Australian Bight Exploration Vital for Jobs, Investments (Sep 16)
- BP to Drill Fewer Wells in Revised Great Australian Bight Environment Plan (Aug 22)