OMV: Wisting Central II Achieves 5,000 Bopd Flow Rate
OMV announced Wednesday that the Wisting Central II horizontal appraisal well in the Barents Sea has achieved flow rates of over 5,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day.
The well, which was drilled in the Wisting field offshore Norway, aimed to confirm the potential of the discovery by proving the presence of hydrocarbons in the undrilled Wisting Central South and Central West segments. Wisting Central II also sought to prove the technical concept of long-reach horizontal wells in a shallow reservoir, about 820 feet below the seabed. The possibility to drill such wells is needed to establish the basis for a viable development of the Wisting discovery.
The well results are expected to provide an increase of in-place volumes in the Central South and Central West segments, and further reduce the overall uncertainty of contingent resources in PL537.
Wisting Central II is the first horizontal appraisal well in the Barents Sea and the fifth well in production license PL537. The well will now be permanently plugged and abandoned.
Johann Pleininger, OMV executive board member responsible for Upstream, said in a company statement:
"OMV is very satisfied with the well test results, which are promising. This well is an important milestone towards a future field development on Wisting.”
OMV (Norge) AS holds a 25 percent operated interest in the PL537 license. Joint venture partners Petoro AS, Idemitsu and Tullow Oil plc each hold a 20 percent interest, with Statoil ASA holding the remaining 15 percent.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Big Oil Reuses Platforms in Latest Cost-Cutting Trick (Nov 15)
- Tight Oil, Shale to Drive Majors' Output to New Highs (Oct 16)
- Shell, Equinor Commit to Tanzania LNG as They Await Host Accord (Oct 16)
Company: OMV more info
- Kremlin Accuses Trump of Trying to Bully Europe into Buying US LNG (Jul 12)
- Austria's OMV to Invest in UAE Offshore Oilfields in $1.5B Deal with ADNOC (Apr 05)
- OMV Ramps Up Search For Gas In Austria (Jan 29)
Company: Tullow Oil more info
- Uganda Expects to Miss Target for First Oil (Sep 24)
- Offshore Namibia Dud Dims Outlook for New Play (Sep 24)
- Total Joins Tullow-operated Block Offshore Guyana (Sep 13)
Company: Petoro more info
- Equinor, Partners to Develop Next Phase of Johan Sverdrup (Aug 27)
- Norway's Parliament Approves Plan for Arctic Oilfield (Jun 11)
- Iceland's Oil Dream in Peril as China, Norway Give Up Last Block (Jan 23)
Company: Idemitsu more info
- Source: Activist Fund Oasis Takes Stakes in Japan's Idemitsu & Showa Shell (Jun 15)
- OMV Says Wisting Arctic Discovery May Exceed 1B Barrels (Nov 17)
- Tullow Oil: Discovery Made in Cara Prospect Offshore Norway (Sep 16)