Maersk Oil Threatens to Shut Down Tyra Field in 2018
Maersk Oil announced Monday that production from Tyra East and Tyra West in the Danish North Sea will cease on October 1, 2018, if an “economically viable solution” for continued operations is not identified during this year.
The Tyra facilities are approaching the end of their operational life due to a combination of more than 30 years of production and subsidence of the underground chalk reservoir, reducing the gap between the facilities and the sea. Over the last 15 years the Danish Underground Consortium (DUC) has spent more than DKK 1 billion ($152.8 million) on reinforcing the structures to prolong production.
Maersk Oil Denmark Managing Director Martin Rune Pedersen said in a company statement:
“Together with our partners in DUC we are now evaluating long term economically viable solutions for recovery of the remaining resources. As part of this, we will consider the terms under which a rebuild of the facilities could take place. The basis for a decision needs to be in place by the end of 2016 to ensure future production from the field.”
Tyra is Denmark’s largest gas field and the facilities are the processing and export centre for all gas produced by DUC. The Tyra field is operated by Maersk Oil on behalf of the DUC, a partnership between A.P. Moller – Maersk (31.2 percent), Shell (36.8 percent), Nordsøfonden (20 percent) and Chevron (12 percent).
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Shell Exec Says Canada Pipeline Debacle Won't Affect LNG Decision (Sep 24)
- Silvertip Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Aug 07)
- Canada Crude Differential Seen Staying High As Refiners Take Downtime (Aug 03)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Tight Oil, Shale to Drive Majors' Output to New Highs (Oct 16)
- Saturno Brazil Pre-Salt Acreage Goes to Shell and Chevron (Sep 28)
- Canada Shale Drillers Feel Permian Pain as Prices Collapse (Sep 20)
Company: Maersk Oil & Gas more info
- Shell Names Former Maersk Oil CEO Watkins As Next US Boss (Mar 27)
- Maersk Energy Sees Uptick In Offshore Oil Drilling, Profit Still Squeezed (Feb 20)
- Maersk Oil CEO To Step Down After Total Takeover (Sep 27)
Company: Nordsofonden more info
- Maersk Oil Threatens to Shut Down Tyra Field in 2018 (Apr 04)
- Maersk Oil Commences Production from New Platform in Danish North Sea (Mar 31)
- Wintershall Confirms Oil at Ravn-3 in Danish North Sea (Dec 17)