PGS, TGS & Schlumberger WesternGeco to Undertake Seismic Program Off Sabah
Norway's Petroleum Geo-Services ASA (PGS) announced Friday that as a result of a new initiative by Petroliam National Berhad (PETRONAS) to stimulate offshore exploration and production (E&P) investment activity, PETRONAS through Malaysia Petroleum Management (MPM), has taken the decision to open an area of Malaysian offshore waters to the multiclient model for the first time.
A consortium comprising of PGS, TGS and Schlumberger WesternGeco, the industry’s three largest multiclient companies, has successfully won the tender for the rights to undertake a multiclient seismic program offshore Sabah.
Offshore Sabah sits in an active fold-and-thrust province that hosts a number of proven hydrocarbon accumulations. An extension of the Brunei Baram Delta play, the primary exploration target has been Miocene deltaics with some younger Pliocene. With exploration and drilling progressing into deeper frontier waters, there is potential for new plays in the carbonate and syn-rift section. This large basin will benefit from modern, high resolution broadband 3D seismic necessary to understand both the existing play concepts and new potential plays.
The consortium is planning to apply a combination of the industry’s most advanced technology solutions including multi-sensor acquisition using PGS GeoStreamer and WesternGeco IsoMetrix marine isometric seismic technology, PGS Towed Streamer EM technology and advanced broadband 2D acquisition and processing techniques.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Offshore Australia Project Marks Step-Change (Jan 16)
- States Look to Block Seismic Surveys in Atlantic (Dec 20)
- ExxonMobil and BHP Greenlight Offshore Australia Project (Dec 13)
Company: PETRONAS more info
- Petronas-Saudi RAPID Refinery To Receive First Oil Cargo By End-Sept (Sep 13)
- Petronas Eyes South Sudan Oil Blocks (Sep 11)
- Sources: Aramco Plans To Ship First Crude Oil To Malaysia JV Refinery (Sep 04)
Company: PGS more info
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
- PGS Raises Funds Through Private Placement (Nov 23)
- PGS: Improving Sentiment in Offshore Seismic Market (Jul 21)