Thai PTT Says Myanmar Gas Field To Shut For Maintenance March 19-28
BANGKOK, March 18 (Reuters) - Myanmar's Zawtika gas field will be shut down for annual maintenance for 10 days starting from Saturday, reducing exports to Thailand by about 580 million cubic feet per day, Thailand's sole gas supplier PTT Pcl said.
Thailand uses natural gas for almost 70 percent of its power generation and about a fifth of its supplies are imported from Myanmar. The country is under pressure to secure long-term supply as domestic gas resources are expected to be exhausted over the next six to seven years.
To offset the drop in supply from Myanmar, PTT plans to use reserves from producers in the Gulf of Thailand and onshore fields as well as seek more liquefied natural gas, PTT said in a statement without giving detail where it would source this.
PTT's subsidiary PTT Exploration and Production Pcl, owns 80 percent of Zawtika gas field at the offshore Block M9 in the Gulf of Martaban, and Myanmar Oil and Gas Enterprise has the remaining 20 percent stake.
The Zawtika field started delivering gas in 2014.
(Reporting by Khettiya Jittapong; Editing by Christian Schmollinger)
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Thai Energy Giant PTT FY Profit Up 43% At $4.3B, Beats (Feb 20)
- Thai PTTGC And Japanese Partners In $900MM Chemical Venture (Aug 25)
- Sources: BP Sells US Crude Oil to Thailand, Australia for First Time (Oct 26)