Oil, Gas Companies to Lay Off Hundreds More in Texas
As the oil and gas industry continues to struggle with the prolonged low oil price environment, more companies announce layoffs.
C&J Energy Services will lay off up to 87 employees at its facility in Robstown, Texas, according to a WARN letter sent to the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC). It has been an especially difficult few weeks for the Houston oilfield equipment supplier, since CEO Joshua E. Comstock suddenly died March 11. The company has since announced CFO Randy McMullen as Comstock’s successor. C&J Energy recently laid off 78 workers at its Pleasanton, Texas facility.
Many companies have made several rounds of cuts since oil prices began to plummet in late 2014.
Transocean Offshore Deepwater Drilling Inc. will lay off 80 employees on the idle Discoverer Americas (UDW drillship) positioned in the international waters of the Gulf of Mexico. Transocean, which laid off 200 offshore employees in February, will offer a severance package to all affected employees, according to a WARN letter to the TWC.
In a separate letter to the TWC, oilfield equipment supplier National Oilwell Varco (NOV) said it plans to permanently close its facility in Baytown, Texas, which will result in the layoffs of 107 employees. Layoffs will be finalized between April 26 and May 7. NOV previously closed its support facility in San Angelo, Texas in January, resulting in the termination of 120 employees.
Calgary-based Calfrac Well Services, an oilfield services company, sent a notice to the TWC that the company would lay off 87 of its employees at its district office in San Antonio, Texas. The layoffs are expected to be permanent and will begin May 1.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Transocean Lands $830MM Rig Contract with Chevron (Dec 28)
- Transocean Acquires Ocean Rig (Dec 05)
- Offshore Brazil Contract Extension Goes to Transocean (Sep 28)
Company: Calfrac Well Services Ltd. more info
- Calfrac Weighs Entry Into Big Oil Regions Such As Saudi, Permian (Sep 14)
- Oil, Gas Companies to Lay Off Hundreds More in Texas (Mar 14)
- Calfrac Appoints New President, COO (Oct 18)
Company: National Oilwell Varco more info
- National Oilwell Varco Equipment Orders Rise, Loss Narrows (Feb 06)
- Robotics and Automation: The Oil, Gas Skillsets of the Future (Nov 15)
- Offshore Drillers Still Seeking Recovery Enjoyed by Shale (Feb 07)