Petrobras Cancels Sale of Stake In Brazil Offshore Oilfields
RIO DE JANEIRO, Feb 29 (Reuters) - Brazil's Petroleo Brasileiro SA has canceled an agreement to sell to a local oil firm its 20 percent stake in two offshore oil fields it operates with Shell, the state-led oil company said in a securities filing on Monday.
Petrobras gave no reason for the cancellation of the sale of the stake in the Bijupirá and Salema fields in the Campos basin to PetroRio.
Royal Dutch Shell Plc, which owns 80 percent of the two fields, announced two weeks ago it was canceling a planned sale of its share to PetroRio, then known as HRT, and gave no explanation for the move.
Shell also canceled the sale to PetroRio of the FPSO Fluminense, the tanker used as a floating drill, storage and offloading platform.
Petrobras, the most indebted oil company in the world, has embarked on a divestment program that aims to sell $14 billion in assets this year.
Shell, Europe's largest oil company which gained approval last month to take over BG Group, had agreed in January 2015 to sell its stake in the fields in a deal estimated to be worth $150 million. The period for conclusion of the transaction ended this month and Shell opted not to renew negotiations.
The Bijupirá and Salema fields 150 miles (250 km) east of Rio de Janeiro were the first offshore fields to be operated by a foreign company.
The fields are in decline and need investment to pump up output. They produce nearly 31,000 barrels of crude oil per day, nearly half the planed production when the field started in 2003, and about 474,000 cubic meters of natural gas, Brazil's oil regulator ANP said in early February.
(Writing by Anthony Boadle; Editing by Andrew Hay)
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
- Murphy Oil and Petrobras to Form Gulf of Mexico JV (Oct 11)
- Offshore Brazil Contract Extension Goes to Transocean (Sep 28)
- Union: Petrobras Plans To Start Reopening Replan Refinery In 48 Hours (Aug 22)
Company: Royal Dutch Shell plc more info
- Shell Agrees to $1.9B Sell of Upstream Danish Assets to Noreco (Oct 17)
- Tight Oil, Shale to Drive Majors' Output to New Highs (Oct 16)
- Shell, Equinor Commit to Tanzania LNG as They Await Host Accord (Oct 16)
Company: HRT Participacoes S.A. more info
- Petrobras Cancels Sale of Stake In Brazil Offshore Oilfields (Mar 01)
- Source: Brazil's HRT to Buy Stake in Shell's Campos Fields (Jan 20)