Petrobras Cancels Sale of Stake In Brazil Offshore Oilfields
RIO DE JANEIRO, Feb 29 (Reuters) - Brazil's Petroleo Brasileiro SA has canceled an agreement to sell to a local oil firm its 20 percent stake in two offshore oil fields it operates with Shell, the state-led oil company said in a securities filing on Monday.
Petrobras gave no reason for the cancellation of the sale of the stake in the Bijupirá and Salema fields in the Campos basin to PetroRio.
Royal Dutch Shell Plc, which owns 80 percent of the two fields, announced two weeks ago it was canceling a planned sale of its share to PetroRio, then known as HRT, and gave no explanation for the move.
Shell also canceled the sale to PetroRio of the FPSO Fluminense, the tanker used as a floating drill, storage and offloading platform.
Petrobras, the most indebted oil company in the world, has embarked on a divestment program that aims to sell $14 billion in assets this year.
Shell, Europe's largest oil company which gained approval last month to take over BG Group, had agreed in January 2015 to sell its stake in the fields in a deal estimated to be worth $150 million. The period for conclusion of the transaction ended this month and Shell opted not to renew negotiations.
The Bijupirá and Salema fields 150 miles (250 km) east of Rio de Janeiro were the first offshore fields to be operated by a foreign company.
The fields are in decline and need investment to pump up output. They produce nearly 31,000 barrels of crude oil per day, nearly half the planed production when the field started in 2003, and about 474,000 cubic meters of natural gas, Brazil's oil regulator ANP said in early February.
(Writing by Anthony Boadle; Editing by Andrew Hay)
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 34 Offshore Rigs
Manages 10 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
Company: Royal Dutch Shell plc more info
- Shell to Deploy Pioneering Electrolysis Tech at German Refinery (Jan 18)
- Shell Ventures Back Into Solar (Jan 15)
- Shell Braces for Change by Expanding Its Foothold in Electricity (Jan 12)
Company: HRT Participacoes S.A. more info
- Petrobras Cancels Sale of Stake In Brazil Offshore Oilfields (Mar 01)
- Source: Brazil's HRT to Buy Stake in Shell's Campos Fields (Jan 20)