Santos Vows Cost Cuts After $2.8B Charge On Oil Crash
(Bloomberg) -- Santos Ltd.’s new Chief Executive Officer Kevin Gallagher promised to cut costs further after the oil price crash led to a wider net loss and A$3.9 billion ($2.8 billion) in writedowns.
The full-year net loss was A$2.7 billion, compared with a loss of A$935 million a year earlier, Adelaide-based Santos said Friday. Profit, excluding one-time items, fell 91 percent to A$50 million, from A$533 million the previous year. The mean estimate of 14 analysts surveyed by Bloomberg was A$87 million.
Santos, Australia’s third-largest oil and gas producer, has joined companies including Origin Energy Ltd. in seeking to shore up its balance sheet after the slide in crude prices. The oil producer, which unveiled a A$3.5 billion program to cut its debt in November, said it doesn’t need to sell assets and that the steps it has already taken will provide a buffer.
“We have to do better in the future,” Gallagher told analysts on an earnings call. “It is therefore imperative that we continue to take costs out of our business. Hence my absolute focus and my first priority over the next few months will be to look closely at our operations. I will be scrutinizing our portfolio of assets.”
Santos, which lost almost half its value in Sydney trading last year, was down 3.7 percent at A$3.41 as of 1:14 p.m. in Sydney on Friday, paring an earlier loss of as much as 8.8 percent. Competitor Woodside Petroleum Ltd. on Wednesday reported a 99 percent decline in full-year profit after writedowns.
Pre-tax writedowns for Santos included A$565 million from its Gladstone liquefied natural gas project in Queensland and A$2.1 billion for its Cooper Basin gas assets in central Australia. The company also cut its proved and probable reserves by 24 percent, and its spending forecast for 2016 by 34 percent to A$1.1 billion.
“The extent of reserve downgrades and impairments are of major concern,” and may show the start of a “deck-clearing” phase from the new CEO, Goldman Sachs Group Inc. analyst Mark Wiseman wrote in a note.
To contact the reporter on this story: James Paton in Sydney at email@example.com To contact the editors responsible for this story: Ramsey Al-Rikabi at firstname.lastname@example.org Iain Wilson
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Santos Seen Luring More Bids After Rejecting $7.2 Billion Offer (Nov 16)
- Australia's Santos Steps Up Effort To Avert LNG Export Curb (Aug 30)
- Australia Plans LNG Export Limits to Help Ease Local Price Pain (Apr 27)