Sona Clears Malaysian Regulatory Hurdle to Aquire Stag Oilfield Off WA
Sona Petroleum Berhad revealed Friday that Malaysia's Securities Commission has approved its planned acquisition of the Stag Oilfield in Production License WA-15-L offshore Western Australia, the company said in a filing on local stock exchange Bursa Malaysia.
The Securities Commission (SC) however noted that independent technical and asset valuation expert Gaffney, Cline and Associates (Consultants) Pte. Ltd. has indicated in its Jan. 20 valuation report that the purchase price for Stag Oilfield was “not fair” as it was above the fair market value .
"The Company is currently in negotiations with the sellers of the Stag Oilfield to reduce the purchase consideration for the Proposed Acquisition," Sona Petroleum said in the filing.
It added that "where the difference between the transaction price and the fair value range will not necessarily make the proposal detrimental to the interest of investors, the SC may allow shareholders to decide on whether to proceed with the transaction, provided all the required information is communicated fully and appropriately."
When the proposed acquisition is completed, Sona plans to further develop the Stag Oilfield, which has been in production since 1988, to increase its output. This is to be achieved through, among others, the drilling of infill production wells, comprising the addition of new wells to the existing fields within the original well patterns to accelerate recovery of oil.
Oil from the field is currently produced from horizontal wells and processed through a fixed central production facility platform with 50,000 barrels per day capacity. It is then transported by pipeline to the floating storage offloading (FSO) facility and loaded to shuttle tankers for North Asian customers.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Santos Seen Luring More Bids After Rejecting $7.2 Billion Offer (Nov 16)
- Australia's Santos Steps Up Effort To Avert LNG Export Curb (Aug 30)
- Australia Plans LNG Export Limits to Help Ease Local Price Pain (Apr 27)
Company: Sona Petroleum Bhd more info
- Santos, Quadrant Terminate Sale of Stag Oilfield Off WA to Malaysia's Sona (Jun 03)
- Shareholders Reject Sona Petroleum's Acquisition of WA's Stag Oilfied (Apr 27)
- Sona Gets More Time to Meet Conditions for Australia's Stag Oilfield Deal (Apr 01)
Company: Quadrant Energy more info
- Quadrant Flows Gas, Condensate from Roc-2 Offshore Australia (Oct 19)
- Neptune Marine Services Bags Quadrant's Contract for Work Off Australia (Sep 27)
- Carnarvon Says Positive Signals Emerges from Roc-2 Well Drilling Off WA (Sep 19)