BP Expands Scope Of $16B Natural Gas Project In Oman
(Bloomberg) -- BP Plc and state-owned Oman Oil Co. agreed to expand an exploration and production sharing agreement of the Khazzan natural gas field to include a second development phase, at an estimated cost of $16 billion for the entire project.
Block 61 will add 1,000 square kilometers (386.1 square miles) to the original 2,700 square kilometer area of development, BP said Sunday in an e-mailed statement. The project will produce 1.5 billion cubic feet of gas per day, or 40 percent of Oman’s current output. The new development requires final approval of Oman’s government and BP, which is expected in 2017, the company said. The reservoir is known to have “tight gas,” which is trapped in impermeable rocks and requires techniques including hydraulic fracturing to extract.
Oman, an exporter of liquefied natural gas to Spain, Japan and South Korea, is studying options to import LNG to help generate power. Domestic consumption jumped to 774 billion cubic feet in 2013 from 520 billion cubic feet in 2009, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. Oman imports gas via a pipeline from Qatar and is in talks to build a link with Iran across the Persian Gulf.
“Khazzan is a major resource with the potential to produce gas for Oman for decades," BP Chief Executive Officer Bob Dudley said in the statement.
The first phase of the project is expected to deliver gas in 2017 and the second will start in 2020. BP owns 60 percent of the block, with the remaining 40 percent held by Oman Oil. More than 325 wells are planned over 15 years.
To contact the reporter on this story: Mohammed Aly Sergie in Doha at firstname.lastname@example.org To contact the editors responsible for this story: Nayla Razzouk at email@example.com Claudia Carpenter, Claudia Maedler.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- BP Thunder Horse Expansion in Gulf of Mexico Starts Early (Oct 18)
- Oil Drillers' Rocky Mountain High Threatened by Colorado Vote (Oct 17)
- Tight Oil, Shale to Drive Majors' Output to New Highs (Oct 16)
Company: Oman Oil Co. more info
- Oman Oil Is Said to Seek Buyers for Stake in Khazzan Gas Field (May 30)
- Omanoil Appoints Acting CEO (Dec 29)
- Oman Oil Company to Partner with KPC for Duqm Refinery (Nov 08)