Oil, Gas Companies Cut Hundreds More Jobs in Texas
As the oil and gas industry continues to cope with a challenging market, hundreds more layoffs were reported to the Texas Workforce Commission. Tenaris SA, Maersk Drilling, National Oilwell Varco and Quicksilver Resources Inc. have announced a total of 539 layoffs in Texas.
According to notices to the Texas Workforce Commission, the following cuts have been reported:
- Tenaris, global manufacturer and supplier of steel pipe products, will cease operations at its Houston facility (8204 Fairbanks N. Houston Road) on March 31, 2016 resulting in 166 job cuts
- Maersk Drilling, a drilling rig operator, is laying off 80 employees who work aboard the Maersk Developer, a rig located in the Gulf of Mexico and reports directly to the Houston office (2500 CityWest Boulevard). The company began notifying employees January 25.
- National Oilwell Varco, oilfield equipment supplier, is permanently closing its Houston manufacturing facility (16211 Air Center Boulevard), resulting in the layoffs of 129 union and non-union employees. All affected employees will be laid off in phases that began Jan. 22; the next phase will be between May 31 and June 15, 2016.
- Quicksilver Resources Inc., a natural gas and oil exploration and production company based in Fort Worth, is closing its business and shutting down operations at the following facilities: 801 Cherry Street in Fort Worth; 3001 Eagle Parkway in Fort Worth; and 310 Bo Gibbs Blvd. in Glen Rose, Texas. This will result in layoffs of 105, 11, and 48, respectively. Quicksilver Resources filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy relief March 17, 2015, will sell all of its assets and is currently restructuring its businesses. Layoffs are expected to begin April 1 and employees will be offered a severance package.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- CEO: Maersk Drilling Strong Enough To Stand On Its Own After Listing (Aug 28)
- Maersk Drilling Lays Off Dozens in GOM (Jan 23)
- Maersk to Limit Investment in Energy Businesses until Separation (Dec 13)
Company: Quicksilver Resources Inc. more info
- US Bankruptcy Court Weighs 'White-Hot' Energy Pipeline Dispute (Mar 04)
- Oil, Gas Companies Cut Hundreds More Jobs in Texas (Feb 01)
- American Eagle Energy Seeks Bankruptcy After Oil Price Drop (May 11)
Company: National Oilwell Varco more info
- National Oilwell Varco Equipment Orders Rise, Loss Narrows (Feb 06)
- Robotics and Automation: The Oil, Gas Skillsets of the Future (Nov 15)
- Offshore Drillers Still Seeking Recovery Enjoyed by Shale (Feb 07)