Saudi, Foreign Firms Sign MoU for New Shipbuilding Complex
RIYADH, Jan 26 (Reuters) - National oil giant Saudi Aramco has signed a memorandum of understanding to establish a shipbuilding and repair complex in the kingdom, part of Saudi Arabia's efforts to diversify its economy beyond oil, the company said on Tuesday.
Pressured by low oil prices, Riyadh is laying plans to develop non-oil industries, using state spending to jump-start the process. The shipbuilding complex is one of the first big projects to be announced under this policy.
The MoU was signed with National Shipping Co of Saudi Arabia (Bahri), a state-controlled firm which ships oil for Aramco, as well as a subsidiary of London-listed Lamprell Plc , a United Arab Emirates-based engineering firm, and South Korea's Hyundai Heavy Industries Co Ltd.
The companies will study a proposal over the next few months to build a maritime complex offering engineering, manufacturing and repair services for offshore rigs, commercial vessels and offshore service vessels, Aramco said.
Aramco did not give a value for the project, but chairman Khalid al-Falih told a business conference on Monday that it was expected to be located on Saudi Arabia's east coast and could eventually create 500,000 jobs.
The complex will initially support Aramco's operations but will ultimately move on to other markets, such as manufacturing container vessels, Falih said.
(Reporting by Andrew Torchia; Editing by Anand Basu)
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- World's Top Two Shipyards Signal More Orders as Earnings Improve (Apr 27)
- Billionaire Fredriksen Buys Rig, Ends Hyundai Dispute (Mar 13)
- After 20,000 Job Cuts, World's Top Shipyards Brace for More (Oct 26)
Company: Saudi Aramco more info
Operates 44 Offshore Rigs
- Initial Negotiations with Saudi's Aramco to Refine Oil in Egypt - Oil Mnstr (Nov 14)
- RIA: Moscow, Riyadh Agree To Explore Aramco Taking Part In Novatek Project (Nov 13)
- Aramco Expects To Boost Capital Spending By About 10% (Nov 09)
Company: Lamprell more info
- Rig Builder Lamprell Sees Lower Revenue, To Tighten Purse Strings (Jan 23)
- Lamprell Secures Services Contract with Jacktel AS (Sep 26)
- Lamprell Expects Challenging Environment to Continue Through 2017 (Sep 22)