Chaos in North Sea as Storm Kills Rig Worker
Stormy weather affected work on several oilfields in the North Sea Wednesday and Thursday with one oil worker dying on a rig and a barge breaking anchor, prompting a platform evacuation.
Statoil reported late Wednesday that a fatality had occurred on the COSL Innovator (mid-water semisub) rig, and two other workers injured, when a breaking wave hit the rig. The two injured workers have been flown by Sea King helicopter to shore, where they are receiving medical treatment. The COSL Innovator is currently working on the Troll field in the Norwegian Noth Sea, west of Bergen.
On Tuesday, BP was forced to evacuate its Valhall platform after a barge broke anchor and drifted towards the installation. However, in a brief phone call with Rigzone Thursday lunchtime a BP Norway spokesman said that the barge had since passed the Valhall platform "without any damaged being caused at all" and that the workers were being returned to the platform. "We are moving back to a normal situation," he said.
Meanwhile, according to Reuters, Norwegian broadcaster TV2 reported earlier Thursday that ConocoPhillips is evacuating its Ekofisk platform, which is located some 200 miles southwest of Stavanger in the Norwegian North Sea.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Eni Secures Two Deals for Oman Blocks (Jan 14)
- BP Plans to Drill 6 More Wells in Azerbaijan (Jan 10)
- GOM Subsea Contract Goes to TechnipFMC (Jan 09)
Company: Equinor ASA more info
- Big Oil Reuses Platforms in Latest Cost-Cutting Trick (Nov 15)
- Tight Oil, Shale to Drive Majors' Output to New Highs (Oct 16)
- Shell, Equinor Commit to Tanzania LNG as They Await Host Accord (Oct 16)
Company: ConocoPhillips more info
- ConocoPhillips Contracts Rowan Jackup (Jan 10)
- ConocoPhillips Plans for $6.1B Capital Spend in 2019 (Dec 10)
- ConocoPhillips Departs Barnett (Nov 01)
Company: China Oilfield Services Ltd (COSL) more info
- China's COSL Completes 3D Seismic Ops in North Barents Sea (Aug 10)
- COSL Completes its First Exploration Assignment in the Far East (Aug 08)
- COSL Appoints Qi Meisheng as CEO and President, Replaces Li Yong (Jun 16)