BG Group Buys a 35% Stake in Cyprus's Aphrodite Gas Field
BG Group announced Monday that it has secured a 35-percent holding in Block 12, offshore Cyprus, which contains the Aphrodite gas field that was discovered in December 2011.
BG said that the addition of Aphrodite to its portfolio represents a potential source of gas to Egypt where the firm has equity positions in the LNG export facility at Idku as well as LNG offtake rights to lift 3.6 million tons per annum.
Aphrodite, located just over 100 miles from Limassol, the field is estimated to contain a mean gross resource of approximately 4.5 trillion cubic feet of natural gas. It is one of several gas fields in the eastern Mediterranean Sea that some oil and gas industry followers believe could be combined to provide supply a significant amount of natural gas to Western Europe in years to come. Last week, after talking to the Republic of Cyprus's Ambassador to Israel at the Universal Oil & Gas 2015 conference in Tel Aviv, Rigzone reported that the country is keen to involve Israeli and Egyptian gas reserves in the eastern Mediterranean into an overall export solution.
Noble Energy operates the Aphrodite gas field along with the Leviathan and Tamar discoveries offshore Israel. Egypt's giant offshore Zohr field was discovered by Italy's Eni at the end of August this year.
BG Group is currently undergoing a takeover by Royal Dutch Shell, which agreed to buy the business in the spring of this year.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Shell Mulls LNG-Hub Network as Use by Ships and Trucks Expands (Jul 11)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Despite Cuts, Big Oil to Expand Production into the 2020s (Sep 05)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- BSEE: Italy's Eni Begins Drilling Oil Well In Alaska's Beaufort Sea (Dec 27)
- Eni 'Mission Impossible' Points to Seismic Shift for Big Oil (Dec 22)
- Sanction-Proof Oil Rig Beats US Policy From Cuba to Russia (Dec 19)
Company: Royal Dutch Shell plc more info
- Shell to Deploy Pioneering Electrolysis Tech at German Refinery (Jan 18)
- Shell Ventures Back Into Solar (Jan 15)
- Shell Braces for Change by Expanding Its Foothold in Electricity (Jan 12)