Russian Oil Output in October Hits Post-Soviet High
MOSCOW, Nov 2 (Reuters) - Russian oil production, the world's largest, hit a post-Soviet high in October, rising 0.4 percent month on month to 10.78 million barrels per day (bpd), Energy Ministry data showed on Monday.
Russia has been raising output despite low oil prices as the weak rouble has helped to offset oil companies' reduced profits. The country is also trying to protect its market share from rivals such as Gulf nations, which have started supplying Moscow's traditional markets.
Output reached 45.572 million tons versus 43.961 million in September, or 10.74 million bpd, which was at that time a post-Soviet high.
The data showed that Russian oil output under production-sharing agreements, designed in the 1990s to encourage investment by foreign oil firms, jumped 6.7 percent in October from September to 1.367 million tonnes (323,000 bpd).
The ministry gave no breakdown of the data for those projects, which include Sakhalin-1 developed by Rosneft, ExxonMobil, ONGC and Sodeco; Sakhalin-2 involving Gazprom, Shell, Mitsui and Mitsubishi; and Kharyaga with Total, Statoil and Zarubezhneft.
Sanctions do not affect those projects.
Saudi Arabia, the world's top oil exporter, pumped on average 10.1 million bpd in October, a Reuters survey showed. OPEC nations meet next month to discuss production quotas.
(Reporting by Katya Golubkova; editing by Alexander Winning and Jason Neely)
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil May Build Onshore Terminal for Castberg Oil -Minister (Jan 16)
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total Starts Up Antwerp Refinery And Petrochem Complex After Upgrade (Nov 30)
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- France's Total Buys Engie's LNG Business For $1.5B (Nov 08)
Company: Rosneft more info
- Russia's Rosneft, In U-Turn, Plans To Bid For Alrosa's Gas Assets (Dec 29)
- Sanction-Proof Oil Rig Beats US Policy From Cuba to Russia (Dec 19)
- Russia's Rosneft Signs Oil Supply Deal With Greece's Motor Oil (Nov 20)
Company: Royal Dutch Shell plc more info
- Shell to Deploy Pioneering Electrolysis Tech at German Refinery (Jan 18)
- Shell Ventures Back Into Solar (Jan 15)
- Shell Braces for Change by Expanding Its Foothold in Electricity (Jan 12)