Ocean Rig Athena Drillship to Mobilize for Senegal Drilling Program Shortly
Africa-focused oil and gas exploration company FAR Limited reported Wednesday that the firm and its partners have contracted the Ocean Rig Athena (UDW drillship) for an upcoming exploration drilling program at the joint venture's blocks offshore Senegal.
The Ocean Rig Athena, currently under long term contract with ConocoPhillips which will play a key role in project managing the drilling program, is now in Angola and FAR expects the drillship to commence mobilization to Senegal in the next few days.
The Senegal drilling program includes three wells -- comprising two appraisal wells at the SNE-1 oil discovery that will include a coring and testing program -- and one shelf exploration well to further evaluate the shelf area prospectivity. This drilling, logging, coring and testing program is expected to be completed by mid-2016.
The first two wells (SNE-2 and SNE-3) will be drilled to appraise the SNE field and are aimed at progressing towards proving the threshold economic field size which FAR estimates to be around 200 million barrels for a foundation project.
The third well (BEL-1) in the drilling program -- the first exploration well to be drilled in the blocks following the discoveries at the FAN-1 and SNE-1 wells -- will aim to build the resource base within tie-back range of a possible future hub development over the SNE field. It will be drilled into the Bellatrix Prospect which has been mapped by FAR to contain 168 million barrels of oil on a gross, unrisked, prospective resource basis with 25 million barrels net to FAR.
“We look forward to drilling our exciting next phase of Senegal wells with the Ocean Rig Athena. When this modern drill ship is combined with the experience gained from drilling the FAN-1 and SNE-1 discovery wells and the capabilities of the ConocoPhillips drilling organization, we expect to deliver very efficient Senegal drilling operations. In addition, the joint venture has been able to take advantage of reduced deepwater rig rates and has secured the rig for a firm three wells and options for an additional three wells in the event of success,” FAR's Managing Director Cath Norman said in the press release.
FAR estimates there is 1.5 biilion barrels of gross prospective resources (225 million barrels net) in several drilling prospects that lie within subsea tie-back distance to a proposed SNE production hub.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- India Plans Larger Oil Auctions as Modi Pursues Import Cuts (Sep 14)
- Cairn Energy: SNE-5 Appraisal Well Hits Oil, Gas (Mar 07)
- AkerBP, Cairn Energy Make Jefferies Top Pick List (Jan 09)
Company: ConocoPhillips more info
- ConocoPhillips Strikes First Oil at New Alaska Site (Oct 10)
- ConocoPhillips to Divest Timor Sea Acreage (Oct 01)
- KBR, ConocoPhillips to Develop Off-the-Shelf LNG Tech (Sep 18)
Company: Petrosen more info
- ConocoPhillips Confirms FAR Holds Pre-Emption Right for Senegal Project (Aug 23)
- Kosmos Energy Makes 'Significant' Gas Find Offshore Senegal (Jan 27)
- SNE Appraisal Program Offshore Senegal Continues with SNE-3 Drilling (Jan 19)
Company: FAR Limited more info
- FAR: SNE 5 Appraisal Well Spuds Offshore Senegal (Jan 23)
- FAR Refutes Claims that it cannot Farm Into Djiffere Block (Dec 01)
- Two Appraisal Wells to be Drilled at SNE Field in 2017 (Nov 25)