Petsec Energy Completes Acquisition of 29.75% Stake in Yemen's Block 7
Australia's Petsec Energy (the Company) disclosed Wednesday that it has completed the acquisition of both the Mitsui E&P Middle East B.V. (8.5 percent) and AWE Limited (21.25 percent) Participating Interests in the Block 7, Al Barqa Permit, in the Republic of Yemen – combined 29.75 percent Participating Interest in Block 7.
Block 7 is an onshore exploration permit covering an area of 1,235,527 acres (5,000 square kilometers) located approximately 211 miles (340 kilometers) east of Sana’a, the capital of Yemen. The block contains the Al Meashar oil discovery as well as an inventory of leads and prospects defined by 2D and 3D seismic surveys, which hold significant oil potential.
Petsec Energy’s Chairman, Terry Fern, commented on the acquisition:
“We are pleased to have concluded both the acquisition of the Mitsui and the AWE interests in Block 7. The acquisition of these interests in combination with the anticipated conclusion of the acquisition by the Company of Oil Search (ROY) Limited, which holds a further 34 percent Participating Interest and is the designated operator of the block, will provide a significant exposure to high value oil assets within the MENA (Middle East North Africa) region that are highly prospective for oil. Block 7 has the potential to add significant oil reserves to Petsec Energy’s resource base and substantial value to the Company’s shareholders."
The Company intends to build upon this initial investment in the Republic of Yemen by seeking further reserve development acquisitions in the region”.
The current interests held in Block 7 (Al Barqa) are as follows:
- Petsec Energy Yemen Ltd. - 29.75 percent participating interest
- Oil Seach (ROY) Limited (Operator) - 34.00 percent participating interest
- KUFPEC (Aden) Limited - 21.25 percent participating interest
- The Yemen General Corporation for Oil and Gas - 15.00 percent participating interest
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Petsec Energy Reports Higher Reserves at An Nagyah Oilfield in Yemen (Mar 15)
- Petsec Energy Acquires 100% Stake in Damis Production License (Feb 05)
- Petsec Energy Completes Acquisition of 29.75% Stake in Yemen's Block 7 (Oct 01)
Company: Oil Search Ltd. more info
- ExxonMobil Reports Papua New Guinea Discovery (Jan 16)
- Papua New Guinea Government To Sell Stake In Oil Search (Sep 21)
- Oil Search Profit Soars, Focus On Advancing PNG Gas Projects (Aug 22)
Company: Mitsui more info
- Japan's Mitsui OSK Targets 26% Stake In Swan's Indian LNG Unit (Sep 18)
- As Rivals Circle, Japan Boosting Firepower To Buy Global Energy Assets (Sep 23)
- Gas Glut Upends Global Trade Flows As Buyers Find New Leverage (Aug 16)
Company: Australian Worldwide Exploration (AWE) more info
- Waitsia Gas Project Exceeds Pre-Production Expectations (Dec 22)
- Waitsia JV Approves 2017 Development Activities Budget (Dec 09)
- AWE Commences Gas Sales from Stage 1 of Waitsia Gas Project in Perth Basin (Aug 29)