Statistics Norway Expects Oil Prices to Hit $60 Per Barrel in 2018
Statistics Norway (SN) announced Thursday that it expects oil prices to “remain low going forward”, before increasing to around $60 per barrel in 2018.
The research and analysis organization reported that the Norwegian economy has been experiencing an oil driven economic downturn for the past year, although SN expects this drop to be followed by a modest recovery in the second half of 2016. The organization also revealed that it anticipates investments in the oil and gas industry will fall by almost 12 percent this year, and that the decline will gradually decrease in the years ahead to 5.5 percent in 2018 in a development that would see “a drop of almost 33 percent from 2013 to 2018”.
Reuters stated June 12 that data from a previous Statistics Norway report suggested the slump in investment in Norway's oil and gas sector would level off from 2016. Reuters said that preliminary figures from Statistics Norway’s previous report showed total 2016 investments were estimated at $23.8 billion, which is 1.4 percent higher than the 2015 estimate released in June last year.
In a statement on the organization’s website, Statistics Norway said:
“Oil prices fell sharply after summer 2014, and at the end of August 2015 were more than halved. We expect oil prices to remain low going forward, but gradually increasing to around $60 per barrel in 2018.”
In a response to the decreasing oil price, a range of Norway-focused oil and gas companies have cut staff throughout 2015 including Aker Solutions ASA, Royal Dutch Shell plc, Subsea 7 S.A., Statoil ASA and Technip S.A.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil May Build Onshore Terminal for Castberg Oil -Minister (Jan 16)
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
Company: Subsea 7 more info
- Subsea 7 Shares Surge On Special Dividend, Q4 Earnings Beat (Mar 02)
- Subsea 7 Takes Delivery of New Vessels (Feb 02)
- Report: Oil, Gas Companies in Aberdeen Face Tax 'Bombshell' (Dec 19)
Company: Technip more info
- Sasol Plans More Hiring for Louisiana Project (Oct 12)
- Bapco To Meet Technip-Led Consortium For Talks On Refinery Expansion (Aug 22)
- Fluor Wins Malaysia Isononanol Plant Contract (Aug 07)
Company: Aker Solutions more info
- Aker BP Buys Hess' Norway Unit For $2B (Oct 24)
- Aker Completes More Than Two-Thirds of Cost-Cutting Program (May 09)
- Aker Solutions Reduces Total Headcount by Almost 5,000 Since 2014 (Mar 30)
Company: Royal Dutch Shell plc more info
- Shell to Deploy Pioneering Electrolysis Tech at German Refinery (Jan 18)
- Shell Ventures Back Into Solar (Jan 15)
- Shell Braces for Change by Expanding Its Foothold in Electricity (Jan 12)