Australia's Metgasco to Seek Damages from NSW Government
Australia's natural gas explorer Metgasco Limited announced Tuesday that negotiations with the New South Wales (NSW) Government have not resulted in a settlement of the matters between Metgasco and the Government. Metgasco has accordingly paused formal discussions with the Government over the future of Metgasco’s three Northern Rivers license areas and is taking the following actions:
- initiation of court action for damages from the NSW Government in relation to the Government’s unlawful suspension of the Company’s 2014 drilling program
- preparation for a judicial review to have PEL 426 renewed and for the award of a production license for PPLA 9; and
- conclusion of contractual agreements for a seismic acquisition program to the east of Lismore and for the drilling of the Rosella conventional/tight gas prospect
“Details of the seismic and drilling programs will be issued over the next few months as contract details, including drilling rig choice and availability, are concluded. Henderson said “we expect the Government will provide all necessary police protection to allow the lawful activities to be undertaken safely and securely and we were given assurances in this respect as part of our discussions with Government.”
“Metgasco would have preferred to settle its claim for 2014 suspension damages with the New South Wales Government out of court and is happy to resume good-faith discussions with Government in this respect, but not at the expense of having to indefinitely suspend its business activities,” added Henderson.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Australian Explorer Looking At Grounds For Lawsuit Over Fracking Ban (Aug 31)
- Metgasco Looks at New Business, Completing Sale of Northern Rivers Acreages (Apr 11)
- Australia's NSW Govt Offers $17.9M to Megatsco to Settle/Buy-back 3 Blocks (Nov 03)