Shale Pioneer McClendon Seeks Global Footprint in Armour Deal
(Bloomberg) -- U.S. shale gas explorer Aubrey McClendon is negotiating a $100 million acquisition of Australian drilling rights in a move that marks the former Chesapeake Energy Corp. chief’s first move overseas.
McClendon’s American Energy Partners LP signed a letter of intent and a three-month exclusivity agreement with Armour Energy Ltd. to acquire a 75 percent stake in 21.5 million acres of drilling rights, Brisbane, Australia-based Armour said in a statement on Thursday.
Terms of the preliminary deal require American Energy to pay Armour as much as $18 million in signing bonuses and to spend $100 million on oil and natural gas drilling over five years.
In his home country, McClendon’s efforts to build a new shale empire since his forced departure from Chesapeake in 2013 have foundered. American Energy has struggled under low energy prices and heavy debts incurred to amass a portfolio that stretches from the Great Plains to Appalachia.
To contact the reporter on this story: Joe Carroll in Chicago at email@example.com; contact the editors responsible for this story: David Marino at firstname.lastname@example.org Jim Efstathiou Jr., Bill Banker
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Chesapeake To Cut Rig Count, Bring Fewer Wells To Production (Aug 03)
- Chesapeake CEO: Downturn Challenges Helped Oil, Gas Companies (Mar 07)
- Chesapeake Energy Posts Smaller Quarterly Loss (Feb 23)
Company: Armour Energy Limited more info
- Uganda Signs Oil Exploration Deal With Australia's Armour Energy (Sep 14)
- Armour Energy Agrees Investment Terms (Nov 21)
- Armour Completes Transfer of Tenements for Kincora Project in Surat Basin (Sep 02)
Company: American Energy Partners more info
- Queensland Court Judges in Favor of Armour in Farm-out Deal with AEGP (Jul 15)
- Empire, AEGP Still in Talks to Close Deal for NT Petroleum Tenements (Apr 22)
- Special Report: The Final Days And Deals Of Aubrey McClendon (Mar 11)