Santos Says First Phase of Australia's GLNG Field Construction Completed
Santos Ltd. reported Friday that all three of Santos GLNG’s major natural gas compression hubs in Queensland, Australia are now operational, marking the end of the first phase of gas field construction.
The achievement comes after testing of the third and final hub, near Roma, was completed and handed over to the long-term operations team.
Santos Vice President Queensland Trevor Brown said: “The construction and commissioning of these three major hubs is a significant milestone on our pathway to first LNG (liquefied natural gas) production around the end of the third quarter of this year.”
“This is a year of delivery for Santos GLNG. Our gas field facilities are complete, our wells are performing strongly, our pipeline is supplying gas to our LNG plant, and we’re approaching 95 percent completion overall,” Brown said.
Work on the hubs began in 2012 and required 18.6 million work hours to complete construction and commissioning. Importantly, work was completed with an excellent safety record.
Together, the three hubs required 2,900 tons of steel, 766,328 cubic feet (21,700 cubic meters) of concrete, 652 miles (1,050 kilometers) of cabling, and 65 miles (105 kilometers) of pipework.
The three hubs service an area of approximately 2,702 square miles (7,000 square kilometers), and at nameplate capacity will be able to process 555 terajoules of gas per day, the equivalent daily consumption of more than nine million homes.
Santos GLNG is a pioneering joint venture between Santos, PETRONAS, Total and KOGAS to supply liquefied natural gas to global markets.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Santos Seen Luring More Bids After Rejecting $7.2 Billion Offer (Nov 16)
- Australia's Santos Steps Up Effort To Avert LNG Export Curb (Aug 30)
- Australia Plans LNG Export Limits to Help Ease Local Price Pain (Apr 27)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total Starts Up Antwerp Refinery And Petrochem Complex After Upgrade (Nov 30)
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- France's Total Buys Engie's LNG Business For $1.5B (Nov 08)
Company: PETRONAS more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- After Europe's Gas Market Disasters, LNG May Come to the Rescue (Dec 12)
- Petronas Unit Agrees Share Swap With Shell's Africa Operator (Dec 05)
- Malaysia's Petronas Asked To Exit Myanmar In Protest Of Rohingya Crisis (Nov 08)
Company: Kogas more info
- S. Korea's KOGAS Says Interested In US Shale Gas Projects (Feb 10)
- Total, Shell, Eni Eligible to Bid for New Iran Oil, Gas Projects (Jan 03)
- Eni Board Authorizes Investment for First Phase of Coral Discovery (Nov 18)