Yokogawa, Shell Develop Next-Gen Platform for Advanced Control & Estimation
Japan's Yokogawa Electric Corporation announced Thursday that the company and Shell have jointly developed Platform for Advanced Control and Estimation, a software suite that speeds up and simplifies the process of designing, deploying, and maintaining advanced process control applications.
This software suite brings together the advanced process control technology that Shell has acquired by operating its plants and the real-time control technology that Yokogawa has developed as a control system supplier. This product will help companies to improve their productivity. Yokogawa will launch sales of this software suite on June 5.
Features of This Software Suite
Advanced process control systems improve product yield and reduce energy consumption by not only maintaining process values such as temperature, flow rate, and pressure within a set range but also keeping them as close as possible to their optimal set points. Thus, such systems are increasingly being used in facilities such as refineries, petrochemical plants, chemical plants, and natural gas liquefaction trains. This new software solution simplifies engineering and improves both operability and maintainability.
This software suite brings the following functionality available within the same platform:
- multivariable model predictive control (a function for modelling the dynamic characteristics of plant responses and controlling multiple variables based on model predictions)
- soft sensing (a function for estimating quality in real time based on temperature, flow rate, pressure, and other process values)
- the ability to perform various types of calculations and customize settings
The major features of this software suite are as follows:
- Development of rapidly deployable applications
With the identification of dynamic characteristic response models, plant step response tests are typically executed over long periods of time to determine how the manipulation of devices impacts process values. This software suite carries out this work automatically and displays the results as a model robustness rating. Users can then easily choose the optimum model, greatly reducing the amount of time required for engineering. Models can be recreated easily at any time, which helps maintain advanced control applications in their best state and thus minimizes maintenance work.
- Excellent operability and maintainability
While the monitoring and operation screens for conventional advanced control applications must be created from scratch for a production control system, a hierarchical set of screens are provided as a standard feature with this software suite, simplifying engineering and dramatically improving operability. These include screens for overseeing the entire system, monitoring target process units, and checking controlled variables and KPIs.
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Yokogawa, Shell Develop Next-Gen Platform for Advanced Control & Estimation (Jun 05)
- Yokogawa to Supply Control & Safety System for Petronas' PFLNG2 Facility (Mar 26)
- Yokogawa to Supply Control, Safety Systems for Yamal LNG Project (Jan 09)
Company: Royal Dutch Shell plc more info
- Shell to Deploy Pioneering Electrolysis Tech at German Refinery (Jan 18)
- Shell Ventures Back Into Solar (Jan 15)
- Shell Braces for Change by Expanding Its Foothold in Electricity (Jan 12)