JX Nippon Finds Oil at Bestari-1 Well in Deepwater Block R Off Sabah
Inpex Corporation announced Tuesday an oil discovery at the Bestari-1 exploration well in Deepwater Block R (the Block) offshore East Malaysia where preliminary findings point to an approximately 230 feet (70 meters) column of oil-bearing sands across multiple horizons. The company has a participating interest in the Block through its wholly-owned subsidiary, Inpex Offshore South West Sabah, Ltd.
The Block located offshore East Malaysia covers an area of 259 square miles (672 square kilometers) with a water depth ranging from 328 feet (100 meters) to 4,593 feet (1,400 meters). Inpex currently owns a 27.5 percent participating interest in the Block, where it conducts exploration activities alongside operator JX Nippon Oil & Gas Exploration (Deepwater Sabah) Limited, PETRONAS Carigali Sdn. Bhd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of PETRONAS, and Santos Sabah Block R Limited, which own participating interests of 27.5 percent, 25 percent and 20 percent, respectively.
Moving forward, Inpex and its partners will analyze and evaluate the data retrieved from the well, and proceed with plans to drill two exploratory wells to assess the possibility of new oil and natural gas deposits.
Japan Oil, Gas and Metals National Corporation (JOGMEC) is to cover up to 50 percent of exploration expenditures incurred by Inpex Offshore South West Sabah, Ltd. through equity capital.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Santos Seen Luring More Bids After Rejecting $7.2 Billion Offer (Nov 16)
- Australia's Santos Steps Up Effort To Avert LNG Export Curb (Aug 30)
- Australia Plans LNG Export Limits to Help Ease Local Price Pain (Apr 27)
Company: PETRONAS more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- After Europe's Gas Market Disasters, LNG May Come to the Rescue (Dec 12)
- Petronas Unit Agrees Share Swap With Shell's Africa Operator (Dec 05)
- Malaysia's Petronas Asked To Exit Myanmar In Protest Of Rohingya Crisis (Nov 08)
Company: Inpex more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Inpex Halts Construction At Australian LNG Site After Worker Dies (Nov 30)
- Japan's Inpex Says Ichthys LNG Project On Track For March Start (Nov 08)
- Statement: Indonesia To Extend Inpex's Masela LNG Contract By 27 Years (Oct 19)
Company: JX Nippon Oil & Gas Exploration more info
- ExxonMobil Reports Papua New Guinea Discovery (Jan 16)
- Japan's JX To Sell North Sea Oil Field Stake To Faroe Petroleum (Jul 28)
- Maersk Highlander Ready for Action (Aug 19)