Santos, Japanese-led Team Make New Oil Find Off Malaysia
MELBOURNE, March 25 (Reuters) - Santos Ltd and its Japanese and Malaysian partners hit oil in an exploration well in deep water off Sabah in east Malaysia, and are planning to drill further to evaluate the find, the Australian company said on Wednesday.
"A significant oil discovery has recently been made at the Bestari-1 exploration well," Santos said in a filing to the Australian Stock Exchange.
Santos said the well hit 67 metres of high quality oil in depths ranging from 1,860 metres to 2,702 metres below the sea.
"While there is still a lot of work to be done in determining recoverable volumes, this is a large structural closure potentially capable of supporting significant column heights," Santos vice president John Anderson said in emailed comments.
The well was one of six Santos has scheduled in a $250 million exploration campaign this year, after cutting planned capital spending for 2015 by a fourth in December to help cope with a slump in oil prices.
Partners in the block are operator JX Nippon Oil and Energy Corp, Japan's Inpex Corp, Malaysian state oil firm Petronas and Santos, which bought its stake from the two Japanese partners in January.
Deepwater Block R, where the Bestari-1 well was drilled, is close to other oil discoveries, including the Kikeh oil field, which started producing in 2007, five years after it was discovered.
(Reporting by Sonali Paul; Editing by Miral Fahmy)
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Santos Seen Luring More Bids After Rejecting $7.2 Billion Offer (Nov 16)
- Australia's Santos Steps Up Effort To Avert LNG Export Curb (Aug 30)
- Australia Plans LNG Export Limits to Help Ease Local Price Pain (Apr 27)
Company: PETRONAS more info
Operates 10 Offshore Rigs
- After Europe's Gas Market Disasters, LNG May Come to the Rescue (Dec 12)
- Petronas Unit Agrees Share Swap With Shell's Africa Operator (Dec 05)
- Malaysia's Petronas Asked To Exit Myanmar In Protest Of Rohingya Crisis (Nov 08)
Company: Inpex more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Inpex Halts Construction At Australian LNG Site After Worker Dies (Nov 30)
- Japan's Inpex Says Ichthys LNG Project On Track For March Start (Nov 08)
- Statement: Indonesia To Extend Inpex's Masela LNG Contract By 27 Years (Oct 19)
Company: JX Nippon Oil & Gas Exploration more info
- ExxonMobil Reports Papua New Guinea Discovery (Jan 16)
- Japan's JX To Sell North Sea Oil Field Stake To Faroe Petroleum (Jul 28)
- Maersk Highlander Ready for Action (Aug 19)