BW Confirms Five Deaths, Four Missing in FPSO Explosion Offshore Brazil
Norway's BW Offshore confirmed Thursday that of the 74 persons onboard the Cidade de Sao Mateus FPSO, there have been five fatalities, with four crew still missing. The remaining crew are all accounted for and receiving medical care where needed, with two in critical condition and for safety reasons, have all been taken off the unit. The next of kin have been informed and all personnel are being attended to by a special support team established by BW Offshore Brazil.
Search and rescue operations continued into the night following the explosion onboard the Floating Production Storage and Offloading (FPSO) unit Cidade de Sao Mateus on Wednesday Feb. 11. Production has been stopped and the unit has been shut down. The unit is operated for Petrobras by BW Offshore. The FPSO is operating on the Camarupim and Camarupim Norte fields in Espirito Santo littoral approximately 75 miles (120 kilometers) from the coast off Brazil.
BW Offshore CEO Carl K. Arnet says: “This is a tragic day, and our primary focus now is on the crew and their families. We cannot rest until the last four of our men are found. We express our gratitude to Petrobras and the Brazillian authorities for the tireless efforts in this time and wish to thank our peers and partners for their support.”
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
Manages 6 Offshore Rigs
- Petrobras To Invest 137 Million Reais Iin Sao Paulo Refinery (Mar 08)
- Petrobras Chief Says US Refinery Sale Ongoing, No Plans To Build Elsewhere (Mar 05)
- Petrobras to Sell Pasadena, Texas, Refinery (Feb 06)
Company: BW Offshore more info
- Norway's $24B Fund Seeing End To Losses In Oil Services (Aug 17)
- Keppel Wins $89M Deals for Work on 3 Floating Facilities, 1 Pipelay Vessel (Jul 08)
- BW Offshore Secures 3 Year Contract Extension for FPSO BW Pioneer (Apr 26)