Anadarko Spuds Kifaru-1 Well in Mozambique's Rovuma Onshore Block
Canada's Wentworth Resources Ltd., the Oslo Stock Exchange and AIM listed independent, East Africa-focused oil and gas company, announced Thursday that drilling operations have commenced on the Kifaru-1 exploration well in the Rovuma Onshore Concession in northern Mozambique. Wentworth has an 11.59 percent net interest in this well, which is being operated by Anadarko and drilled with the Helmerich & Payne rig #243.
The Kifaru-1 exploration well is targeting Miocene sands, similar to the reservoirs in the Mnazi Bay and Msimbati gas fields in southern Tanzania, as well as Oligocene and Cretaceous sands. The Kifaru-1 well has a planned total depth of 13,287 feet (4,050 meters) True Vertical Depth Sub Sea and, based on the current drilling program, is expected to take approximately 70 days to complete. The Company will provide an update after drilling operations have been completed.
Geoff Bury, managing director, commented:
"The Kifaru-1 exploration well is located just south of our discovered natural gas fields in the Mnazi Bay concession and adjacent to recent gas discoveries made offshore. The Kifaru-1 well is testing a large structure which, if successful, could lead to further exploration activities in both of Wentworth's blocks in the Rovuma Basin".
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
- 4 Ways Agile Sourcing Can Lead Enterprises to Success (Nov 10)
- Gadfly: Anadarko Woke Up, and It Really Smells the Coffee (Nov 01)
Company: Wentworth Resources Ltd. more info
- Wentworth Resources Secures Approval for Mozambique Appraisal Plan (Jun 22)
- Wentworth Reduces Net Loss in 1Q, Delivers 'Encouraging' Output (May 12)
- Mnazi Bay Gas Wells Deliver 1st Gas to Tanzania Pipeline (Aug 21)