NWS JV to Develop $1B Persephone Project Off Northwest Australia
Woodside Petroleum Ltd., as Operator of the North West Shelf (NWS) Project, announced Thursday that the NWS Project participants have approved the Persephone Project off the north-west coast of Australia.
The Persephone Project is the third major gas development for the NWS Project in the past six years, demonstrating the joint venture’s commitment to maximizing the value of Australia’s largest operating oil and gas project.
The project will involve a two well, 4.3 mile (7 kilometer) subsea tieback from the Persephone field to the existing North Rankin Complex. The total investment for the project is expected to be approximately $1.02 billion (AUD 1.2 billion) (Operator’s estimate; 100 percent cost), with project start-up expected in early 2018.
Woodside CEO Peter Coleman said the Persephone Project would leverage Woodside’s core capabilities to unlock undeveloped resources and help maintain offshore supply to the Karratha Gas Plant.
“The NWS Project celebrated 30 years of domestic gas production and 25 years of LNG exports earlier this year and the approval of Persephone is the next step in continuing this success story,” Coleman said.
The Persephone Project participants are: Woodside Energy Ltd. (Operator 16.67 percent); BHP Billiton Petroleum (North West Shelf) Pty Ltd (16.67 percent); BP Developments Australia Pty Ltd (16.67 percent); Chevron Australia Pty Ltd (16.67 percent); Japan Australia LNG (MIMI) Pty Ltd (16.67 percent); and Shell Development (Australia) Pty Ltd (16.67 percent).
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Private Oil Made a Big Find in Mexico. Now State Oil Wants a Cut (Oct 04)
- BHP Gearing Up to Start Drilling for Oil in Mexico's Deep Waters (Oct 02)
- BHP To Quit US Shale Business As Annual Profit Surges (Aug 22)
Company: BP plc more info
Operates 32 Offshore Rigs
- BP Returns To Solar With Investment In Lightsource (Dec 15)
- BP: 2017 'Massive' Year for Global Upstream Projects (Dec 07)
- BP Seeks Stake In Cairn Energy Senegal Assets (Nov 20)
Company: Woodside more info
Operates 3 Offshore Rigs
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)
- Global LNG: Faltering Supply Prompts Short-Covering Price Rally (Aug 11)
- Woodside Sees Output Growing 15 Pct Over Next Three Years (May 23)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- ExxonMobil Jumping in to Mexico Fuel Market With First US Cargo (Dec 06)
- Chevron To Study Mexican Oil Block, No Drilling Seen In First 4 Years (Nov 30)
- Buying Texas Oil at New Mexico Prices: Majors Go West for Shale (Nov 14)
Company: Japan Australia more info
- Australia's Browse FLNG JV Decides Not to Proceed with Development (Mar 23)
- NWS JV to Develop $2B Greater Western Flank Phase 2 Project Off Australia (Dec 11)
- NWS JV to Develop $1B Persephone Project Off Northwest Australia (Nov 27)
Company: Royal Dutch Shell plc more info
- Shell Says Fire Extinguished At Singapore Refinery-Petchem Plant (Dec 11)
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- Pressured For Profit, Oil Majors Bet Big On Shale Technology (Nov 28)