Cooper Energy Reports Poor Oil Shows at Akela-1 Well in Cooper Basin
Cooper Energy Limited reported Wednesday that Akela-1, an exploration well in PEL 110, Cooper Basin, South Australia, has been cased and suspended after reaching a total depth of 8,779 feet (2,676 meters) in Pre-Permian Basement.
Trace to poor oil shows were observed throughout the well with the best oil shows recorded in the Birkhead Formation. A basal Birkhead Formation sandstone was identified as a potential hydrocarbon bearing zone however several attempts to sample reservoir fluids from this formation were unsuccessful due to poor borehole conditions. The Operator has cased and suspended the well for potential future evaluation of the Birkhead Formation.
EDA Rig 4 is scheduled to return to the area in early December to drill the Jenners-1 oil exploration well approximately 1.4 miles (2.3 kilometers) north of Fairbridge-1 in PEL 100, in which Cooper Energy has a 19.165 percent interest.
Participating interests in PEL 110 are:
- Cooper Energy (20 percent)
- Orca Energy (20 percent)
- Senex Energy (60 percent and Operator)
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Senex Wins Australia Gas Field, Aims To Start Producing In 2019 (Sep 05)
- Senex Welcomes South Australian Govt's $18.4M Pledge to Develop Gas Supply (Sep 09)
- Australia's PEL 444 Partners Swap Seismic Data with Senex, Bridgeport (Jun 02)
Company: Cooper Energy Limited more info
- Beach Energy Completes Callawonga-12 Well Drilling in Cooper Basin (Aug 25)
- Cooper Energy Seeks New Buyer for Tangai-Sukananti KSO in Sumatra (Aug 24)
- Beach Energy Spuds Callawonga-12 Well in South Australia's Cooper Basin (Aug 18)
Company: Orca Energy Limited more info
- Orca Energy Sale of its South Australian Cooper Basin Assets to Senex (May 19)
- Orca Energy to Sell Cooper Basin Assets in South Australia to Senex Energy (Mar 13)
- Cooper Energy Reports Poor Oil Shows at Akela-1 Well in Cooper Basin (Nov 12)