Egypt Awards BP Two New Exploration Blocks
BP reported Monday that it has been awarded two new exploration blocks as a result of Egypt's 2013 EGAS bid round. BP said it and its partners have committed to invest a total of $240 million in the blocks over different phases.
Block 3 (North El Mataria) will represent BP's entry into the onshore Nile Delta. The block is located in the northeastern part of the Nile Delta cone, approximately 35 miles to the west of Port Said city. BP will operate the block with a 50-percent equity participation, while Abu Dhabi's Dana Gas will hold the remaining 50-percent interest.
Block 8 (Karawan Offshore) is located in the Mediterranean Sea in the northeast part of Egypt's waters, some 135 miles to the northeast of Alexandria. BP will also hold a 50-percent interest here while Italy's ENI will hold the remaining 50 percent.
The program for the two blocks will include 3D seismic data acquisition and three exploration wells in each block over a six-to-eight year period.
BP North Africa Regional President Hesham Mekawi commented in a company statement:
"BP is proud of the successful partnership it has had with Egypt for 50 years. We look forward to continuing to play a key role in the development of Egypt's energy sector and maximizing the use of our existing resources.
"Our expertise and latest technologies will be deployed for mutual benefit in these new blocks which we believe have gas-bearing characteristics. Exploring the two blocks will require substantial investments to unlock their potential, and will be done as part of our commitment to meeting Egypt's energy needs. We also look forward to working with our Abu Dhabi partners at Dana Gas."
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
- BP Is Said to Weigh Bid for $1.8B Italian Solar Company (Jan 22)
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- Owners of Louisiana-Illinois Pipeline Eye Reversal Next Steps (Dec 21)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- BSEE: Italy's Eni Begins Drilling Oil Well In Alaska's Beaufort Sea (Dec 27)
- Eni 'Mission Impossible' Points to Seismic Shift for Big Oil (Dec 22)
- Sanction-Proof Oil Rig Beats US Policy From Cuba to Russia (Dec 19)
Company: Dana Gas PJSC more info
- Dana Gas Is Said to Miss Payment on $700 Million Sukuk Today (Oct 31)
- Dana Fight With BlackRock to Start Despite UAE Court Order (Sep 19)
- UAE's Dana Gas to Review Egypt Investment If Not Repaid Dues (Nov 09)