Santos Spuds Mahalo 7 Horizontal Well in Permit ATP 337P in Bowen Basin
Coal seam gas explorer and developer Comet Ridge Ltd. announced Friday the spud of the Mahalo 7 surface to in-seam horizontal well at 2000 hours Thursday Nov. 6, at its ATP 337P Mahalo asset in Queensland's Bowen Basin, Australia. The surface hole was drilled to 242 feet (74 meters) overnight and this morning the rig was preparing to run 9.625 inch surface casing.
This Mahalo 7 surfcae to in-seam horizontal well has been designed to maximize the use of current reservoir data and has been positioned inside the current pilot wells. It will be drilled past the Mahalo 3 vertical well, intersecting the Mahalo 6 vertical well. The Mahalo 6 well will be utilized to lift the water and gas from the Mahalo 7 horizontal well. The Mahalo 7 horizontal well is expected to run through approximately 1,640 feet (500 meters) of coal before the intercept. This coal is at a depth of approximately 754 feet (230 meters).
Mahalo 6 is currently set up as a production well, with flowlines, metering and separation facilities at surface. Use of this well as the intercept well is therefore cost effective for the Joint Venture and will enable timely recommencement of dewatering following completion of drilling. The Mahalo 7 well will take approximately two weeks to drill.
The Mahalo block sits approximately 149 miles (240 kilometers) west of Gladstone in central Queensland and the Joint Venture has been operating two production pilot schemes at the Mahalo Field Pilot and Mira Field Pilot, since the first half of 2013. Comet Ridge has recently received its first independent reserve cerftification for the Mahalo Block, which was detailed in a release to the ASX Aug. 29.
Equity participants in ATP337P Mahalo are Comet Ridge Mahalo Pty Ltd. (40 percent), Australia Pacific LNG Pty Ltd. (30 percent) and Santos QNT Pty Ltd. (30 percent). Santos QNT Pty Ltd. is defined as the Exploration Operator under the current Joint Venture Operating Agreement and has the responsibility for drilling the Mahalo 7 horizontal well.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Santos Seen Luring More Bids After Rejecting $7.2 Billion Offer (Nov 16)
- Australia's Santos Steps Up Effort To Avert LNG Export Curb (Aug 30)
- Australia Plans LNG Export Limits to Help Ease Local Price Pain (Apr 27)
Company: Comet Ridge Ltd. more info
- Comet Ridge, APA Ink MOU to Pipe Gas from Australia's Galilee Basin Permits (May 11)
- Comet Ridge Optimistic About Mahalo 7 Well Production in Queensland (Mar 03)
- Comet Ridge Updates on Mahalo 7 Well in ATP 337P in Queensland (Jan 25)
Company: Australia Pacific LNG Pty Ltd. more info
- APLNG, APA Ink 20-Year Gas Transportation Agreement (Sep 06)
- APLNG Delivers First LNG Cargo to Kansai Electric (Jun 30)
- Russell: LNG Looks Poised to Follow Crude Oil's Plunge (Jan 18)