Statoil Finds up to 80M Barrels of Oil near Grane Field
Norway's Statoil reported Tuesday that it has proved new oil resources in the D-Structure that lies in the vicinity of the Grane field in the North Sea.
Well 25/8-18S, drilled by the Transocean Leader (mid-water semisub) rig in production license 169, proved an 82-foot oil column in the Heimdal formation. The estimated volume of the discovery is in the range of 30-to-80 million barrels of recoverable oil.
The D-structure is located on the Utsira High, just four miles north of the Grane field and in the immediate proximity of the Grane F oil discovery made by Statoil in 2013. The D-structure was originally penetrated in 1992 by well 25/8-4, which encountered just three feet of oil corresponding to about six million barrels.
May-Liss Hauknes, Statoil's vice president for exploration in the North Sea, commented in a company statement:
"We are pleased with having proved new oil resources in the Grane area. Near-field exploration is an important part of Statoil's exploration portfolio on the Norwegian Continental Shelf. It provides high-value barrels that are important for extending the production life of existing installations."
Statoil added that a tie in to the Grane field is one of the development solutions it is considering for the discovery.
Statoil holds a 57-percent interest in PL169, where it is the operator. Petoro and ExxonMobil hold 30-percent and 13-percent stakes in the license respectively.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 16 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- ExxonMobil to Lead Construction, Ops of Mozambique LNG Facilities (Dec 13)
- ExxonMobil Jumping in to Mexico Fuel Market With First US Cargo (Dec 06)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- Statoil Greenlights $6B Flagship Arctic Oil Project (Dec 05)
- Partners to Invest in New Gas Module at Troll C Platform (Nov 07)
Company: Petoro more info
- Aker Solutions Secures Johan Sverdrup Phase 2 FEED Contract (Mar 21)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
- Statoil Granted North Sea Drilling Permit by NPD (Dec 21)