Gazprom, Sonatrach Make Oil, Gas Find In Algeria
ALGIERS, Oct 8 (Reuters) - Algerian state energy firm Sonatrach has made a new oil and gas find with Russia's Gazprom following a successful drilling in the desert Berkin basin, bringing to three the number of joint discoveries there, it said on Wednesday.
Last week, Algeria awarded just four out of 31 oil and gas fields on offer in its latest energy bidding round as the North African OPEC producer looks to bolster stagnant oil and gas output. All four were won by foreign consortiums.
The new discovery was made in the El Assel area at block 236b after drilling reached a final depth of 4,120 metres, the Algerian firm said in a statement.
Gazprom and Sonatrach had made two discoveries in the same perimeter following the drilling of RSH-2 and ZERN-1 exploration wells.
Sonatrach holds a 51 percent stake in the project while the remaining 49 percent is owned by Gazprom.
Sonatrach has made 18 oil and gas discoveries for the first eight months of this year. Algeria made 32 hydrocarbon finds, including 29 by Sonatrach alone, in 2013.
(Reporting By Hamid Ould Ahmed; editing by Susan Thomas)
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Gazprom's Second Quarter Profit Soars On Rising Energy Prices, Sales (Aug 29)
- Russian Gas Exports Hit a New Summertime Record (Jul 17)
- Trump: US to Compete With Russia for Europe Gas Market (Jul 16)
Company: Sonatrach more info
- Algeria In Talks With Oil Firms To Set Up Trading Venture (Jul 24)
- Total Signs Deal to Extend TFT Gas Field License in Algeria (Jun 11)
- Trained Engineer Takes On Algeria's Energy Monolith (Mar 29)